We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

How We Built Our Custom Newel Posts; Tutorial

23 August 2011

How We Built Our Custom Newel Posts Tutorial by me

Most recent picture like 2 exactly minutes ago!...still not done but really getting there...

For the rest of the story, check out these posts too: The Plan, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 and Part 6

Okay guys, as you know (or I hope you do) we love to amp up the style in our home with architectural elements.  So, when it comes to our stair project the newel posts were a really important feature.  I wanted big and chunky- no skinny "model sized" newel posts for me- give me some meat!

I know I haven't shown you the final... I am still working on finishing caulk and extra coats of paint, but we were asked a while back on how we built our newel posts.  I passed the job on by asking my handy hubby to make a tutorial up for you all!  He broke the project down into 10 simple images to show you the steps he took to accomplished the look that we wanted -simple, yet elegant.  Now this may or may not be the "correct" and "proper" way to build a newel post, but it worked for us and they are super solid and easy to make happen.. so there you go!

Feel free to use our ideas and make a beautiful version of your own, ***all I ask is that you please link back to this tutorial if you blog about it AND I wanna see what you do, so please just be sure to submit them to be featured!  Please let us know how yours turn out.  We would love to share it with everyone.

On to the -uh- quasi tutorial!












Tools I used for this project:
  • Table Saw
  • Miter Saw
  • Circular Saw
  • Orbital Sander
  • Nail Gun
  • Calking Gun
  • Wood Glue

Lessons learned:
  • Don't use pressure treated 4x4's for the core- whoops!  We thought we would save $10 by buying it, but regret using it.  They shrank and twisted.  Justin was able to work around it but it took a lot of thought and patience.   That is one reason that I used the spacers, but mine were all different sizes to make the shell of it all be centered and square.
  • Don't wait too lang to install your new newel posts.  They add so much to the end of the stairs and are great to look at rather than what we looked at for 2 years!
The rest of the story, check out these posts too: The PlanPart 1Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5 and Part 6

For more of our tutorials, check out:



Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin. Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME! We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!). We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, (check out house 1 and house 2 as well, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way. We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what going on in our family life.

25 comments:

Michelle Jensen August 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM  

Looks amazing! Thanks for the detailed pictures! Can you tell me if the "base cap" in picture 6 is something you can find pre-made like the caps, or did you cut them yourself? I would love to give this a try when I get my husband on board!

Catherinas Creative Corner August 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

L.O.V.E I.T! SOOOOOO MUCH! This style of stairs is so classic! I love it so much better than the "curvy, round looks" that some stairs get these days. STUNNING JOB!!!

cat

Unknown August 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

Newel Post envy.
Great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to document this. Ill be referencing it when we re-do!

Remodelaholic August 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

Michelle,

Hey, the cap was just a piece we cut. The inside square doesn't need to be perfect cuz the upper section covers that inside edge... if that makes sense! Good luck on your stairs... may the powers of persuasion be with you!

Cassity

ka August 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

WOW!!! Thank you for this tutorial! I hope to cross this off our "to do" list in the very near future!

Anonymous,  August 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

My hubby has been telling me he wants to do this in our house but I couldn't really picture how it would look with one side railing being longer than the other. Thanks for the visual. I now get it. Gorgeous!!

Leigh Anne August 31, 2011 at 9:24 AM  

Stopping by from Someday Crafts. Looks great! We are in the process of doing our stairs now. Very inspiring.

http://queenofiwasgonna.blogspot.com

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com September 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

That is an amazing tutorial and the final resuls are fabulous! I'm so glad you linked to my party.

Anonymous,  September 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM  

That turned our so pretty! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

my2girlies September 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

That is such a great tutorial. I am soooo ready to be done with my stair makeover. Maybe this week-end...of course I have been saying that for a month now. I had no idea how long this would take!! Yours look incredible!! I was not brave enough to really change any of the architecture. Again - yours are just amazing!!

I have been popping over to Shaw to vote for Roeschel and you each day. Your room is gorgeous!!

Susan
http://lifeondovehollow.blogspot.com/

Jacqueline September 2, 2011 at 8:37 AM  

They look amazing, the stairs and everything looks great! I wish we had stairs! Thank you for sharing this at Simply Creations Link Party!

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter September 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

Again, thanks for linking up this amazing project at my link party (Once Upon a Weekend). Your presence there totally made my day!!! This is such a well done project, and the illustrations are amazing too. I have enjoyed reading your blog so much, and learning about all the amazing things you can do! You inspire me sooo much!

Katie September 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

I LOVE your newel posts! If I had stairs this is something I would want Mr. Woodsy to build! Thanks for linking up with Sew Woodsy!

Lindsay September 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM  

Gorgeous! Those wood floors are stunning! Thanks for sharing this @ Show & Share!

At The Picket Fence September 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

Those are absolutely gorgeous and that was one fantastic tutorial! We are thrilled that you stopped by to share this with us at Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
Vanessa

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage September 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

They are absolutely wonderful! Your newel posts are perfect and thanks so much for the how to!! Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door September 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

I am so impressed! Your staircase looks magnificent! Loved the virtual tutorial, as well!

Unknown September 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM  

Wow! I am impressed yet again! The detailed instructions are fabulous! And they look awesome! Thanks for sharing this on Fancy This Fridays last week!

Unknown September 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

Thanks for linking up to my party! Its nice seeing some great inspiration... during a time when I cant give any (relocation time). :)

Toni
A Bowl Full of Lemons

CourtneyB September 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

Okay, I'm a little late on this, but those stairs are looking super-classy! WOW! You guys are talented! I can't believe the difference it makes!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP