We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

A million years ago... The Staircase Remodel PR 5

05 May 2011

Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth... In March 2010, I decided to redo our stairs.  I had a few goals in mind.  Make the space look custom, and open it up.  As it was, the existing newel posts made the entry sorta feel cramped.  The carpet was getting pretty worn (thanks to my cats taking the corners too fast while chasing each other, there was a 3 inch hole in the carpet)  and since wood floors were the ultimate plan well I decided I needed to investigate.

One day, while Justin was at work (naughty wife) I pulled a corner of the carpet up to see what it looked like under there.   Not so good, no pretty finished stairs that other people seem to luckily find.  No mine were plain old structural pine lumber covered in plaster and paint splatters, with huge unfinished gaps...  But I was still determined!

So I think I talked to my husband about it...  We discussed options and came up with a plan (posted about here).  To refresh your memory here is what the stairs looked like:





Above is my own little furry Vanna (Buddy) White showing you how to pose by the stairs!

Here is the plan we drew up and hoped we could make happen.

Here I am peeking under the carpet... bummer no good... but lets just dive in shall we?


At first I tried scraping the plaster off the stairs.  It worked in some places, but in others it sorta splintered the wood, so I had to stop.



Be ready to remove about a million staples.

You can see one of the holes that the cats had created by speedy-Gonzales-ing it around the corner.  They would catch that spot with their back claws, and literally the hole got bigger everyday... silly beast (a secret thank you from mom for giving me an excuse to rip out the carpet!!! kisses!)





As you can see there are a few major problems.  Namely the stairs are covered with plaster, there are huge gaps on the sides and the wood, is just structural lumber, no hidden gems here.  What will we do....
You'll have to hope that I post about it soon... ( I will get on writing that post)

In case you want to follow along, check out these posts too: The PlanPart 2Part 3 and Part 4

Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won't try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what is going on in our family life.

7 comments:

Unknown May 5, 2011 at 6:32 PM  

If the wood is ok, the cracks are the smaller problem. You can use triangular wood strips. You only need a very good saw with which you can work on fermentation. But for this work I don't envy you ;) But I am sure that the result is wonderful!!!

Big hugs
Tine

Ispirato Design May 5, 2011 at 9:09 PM  

Well, you're into it now! The hardest part is getting started- right? I can't wait to watch it progress. I just blogged about our stairs yesterday- funny, I am just about to peel back some of our carpet too- hoping there are at least actual treads.

Katie May 5, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

Great post!! Can't wait to see more! Buddy is cute too!

-Katie
Acreativeinterior.com

laxsupermom May 6, 2011 at 8:12 AM  

Cassity, I could have written this post except instead of CG being at work, he was at the movies with the boys. Same yucky carpet, same not pretty wood, same big gaps. Can't wait to see your big reveal. Ours need to be completely rebuilt so I'm not sure when we'll be tackling it.

Christine May 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM  

Please do share. We have similar stairs and I want to get rid of the carpet on them.

my2girlies August 19, 2011 at 12:05 AM  

This is just what ours looked like,too. Paint and texture splattered ickiness!!

Susan
http://lifeondovehollow.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP