We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Spray Painted Window Trim On Exterior Door

20 October 2010

Spray Painted Window Trim On Exterior Door

contributed by Sharon This Thrifty House


OK--don't roll your eyes, but I have yet another post about the wonders of spray paint!
My front and back doors have been bothering me. They have this wonderful plastic trim around the window that over the years the sun has turned an awesome shade of YELLOW!
Exhibit A:
(I do not have an awesome camera to do this picture justice--just know that it is pretty yellow!)


So I turn to my new trusty friend: Spray paint.
I chose one that is specifically designed to use on PLASTICS.

AND I saw one of these tools on someones blogs once--and finally found one at WALMART--for somewhere in the $2-$3 range.

I figured it was a good investment in the health of my spray painting finger considering all the spray painting I am doing. And let me just say--IT WORKS AWESOME!!
If you spray paint at all--you really should get one!

It looks like this once you slip it over the can of your spray paint.
So then I taped off the areas of my door that I didn't want to get painted.
And then I went to work!
I applied 2 coats of paint. And I think it looks AMAZING! It looks like I have a brand new door!!
Here are the results:
Before / After
I can't wait to do the same thing to my back door! It is MUCH YELLOWER (is that a word?) and will make an even better before and after picture!


As promised in THIS other post when I did the trim of my FRONT DOOR--I am writing this post to show you the before and afters of my BACK DOOR spray painting trim project.
I just finished it and am SO HAPPY with the results!
I just wish I had done this YEARS earlier!
Here is the trim in its sun damaged YELLOWNESS before:
The hardest part of this project is the prep--taping and papering.
(And since that isn't hard at all--that tells you how EASY this project is!)
OK--are you ready?
This change is pretty dramatic and AWESOME!
BEFORE:
(And yes, that is my little one on my lap in the reflection--this is how a lot of my projects are done--with my little ones right at my side! They are such big helpers...right?)
AFTER:

BEFORE/AFTER

Now let me just say it again....I LOVE SPRAY PAINT!!!

12 comments:

Amy Kinser October 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

I also have a little of that yellow trim going on around my house on some outside doors. I really need to paint it and have thought that for quite some time now. How lazy is it that I just don't want to have to tape all that paper up there? I know, really lazy. I will get it done. Thanks for the inspiration.

The Mac's House October 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

That turned out great. I have to paint my door and I'm thinking of going black!

Anne October 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

That looks great! My mom touches up her doors like that every few years.

Champe@MyDesignGuide.com October 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

I love that finger saving little spray paint gun thingy you used.....gettin' one tomorrow! Thank you

Barbara Jean October 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

I have the same problem. I will have to make it beautiful like you did. =)

blessings

barbara jean

Allison @ House of Hepworths October 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

OK seriously, this idea is genius! Um, how many times have I hand painted that annoying piece around the door? Too many to count. Spray paint is so much easier! I'm saving this tip and will most definitely reuse it.

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

Kate @ The Gaines Gang October 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

That is just fabulous! My "to do list" has painting the front doors this will be so much easier.

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown October 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Things like this are things that only the homeowner really notices, but they make a world of difference to the person who lives there! I can totally sympathize. I've got about 8 bajillion things like this that need to be completed around the house.

Thanks for the tip of the spray grip. I'll pick one up tonight!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman October 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

wow, what a great idea! I have the EXACT same doors..they weren't put in too long ago, but they'll probably yellow, just like yours...keeping this in mind!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP