We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Stiles Fischer Interior Design Blog Intro

21 October 2010

Hey all, this is Cassity, I am writing a bit of an intro to this post because I am really excited about this post I requested.  Some of you may know that I got my degree in Interior Design.  While in school I had the pleasure of meeting some great friends, who also happen to be designers - really great designers!!  Recently, I received a note from a friend who had just started a design blog for his interior design business.  


His name is Nate Fischer, and he is not only a great interior designer (see the post below!!)  but he is a fabulous artist - check out his website.  My husband and I had the pleasure of getting to know he and his wife in college.  They were remodeling an old house too - so we were meant to be friends.  I was going to try and find some old humiliating pictures from our Halloween parties, but I will spare you all.  


He is trying to build up his blog, which has some great informative design posts- so worth becoming a follower.  In order to grow, he is having a giveaway for one of his original pieces of art, (that let's be honest I. want. A. LOT!) I will give you a sneak peek (below) all you have to do is become a follower and possibly leave a comment for him on this post.





Here is his post (that I requested, you guys will not be disappointed!!, This is what it looks like to have an interior designer come to your house and do all the dirty work for you):

PS- He works in Orange and Monterey County, CA 
pleases contact him if you are interested in working with him!!

Stiles Fischer Interior Design Blog Intro 
contributed by Nathan Fisher @ 
Stiles Fischer Interior Design Blog

This post goes through the before and after process of a full project, and includes a little peek into the design that goes into the details. Rather than bore you with all the technical drawings, I have included a couple of the key items, to give a little peek into what I do exactly. For anyone reading, that happens to be "in the biz" I will do some product name dropping as well.

The project was a home in south Orange County, for a large and involved family. They were ready for some change, and so I helped bring a fresh and light feel to the house.



This was the dining room before. The problem area: a 14' tall focal point wall, with no detail.
The solution: Some paneling and matching hardwired sconces. At first I was a little leery to suggest the 3rd option; floor to ceiling paneling, but once installed it was obviously 100% the best choice of the three.



The paneling had no edge detail, we just stuck with a shaker style installation to keep it from feeling too formal. It was tricky to line everything up in relation to the mirrors, lighting, doorway, and heat register (not seen).




In the room is an antique brass chandelier from Visual Comfort lighting, along with the scone pair. I designed the dining table, and had it custom made in L.A. It was made from solid rift oak, with a light cereused finish. It is probably the heaviest table I have ever felt (a good thing). The rug was their existing rug, and worked out great.


The living room before: Note your's truly in the left mirror (even though it looks planned, I hate when that happens!)

Living room after: As you can see, we continued the paneling from the dining room. The brass bamboo side tables are from Arteriors, and the Restoration Hardware coffee table is made from vintage reclaimed industrial wood (they are on limited stock, so if you want one, better hurry. It is a great value in my opinion.) We used some of their existing art, including some of their sons college art sketches, and had them reframed. A good frame will make anything look like a million dollars.


Kitchen before: Adding storage space, and opening up the room was the name of the game.

A conceptual sketch helped put the goal in sight. My client had the idea to add a window above the range. Not typically done, but in design rules are meant to be broken, and in this case it was a perfect crime.

My contractor came by before we started, for a walk through. We wondered if we could remove the full ceiling. He cut a hole, climbed up in for a few minutes, and returned with the news. This is a couple days into the demo.




The finished project: Cabinet doors match the dining room paneling style, and viceversa. Clear glass cabinet pulls are topped with a pair of celadon jars from Tozai Home. You can't see it too well in this photo, but after a lot of time spent looking at backsplash tile, we went with a ribbed Barbara Barry subway tile from Ann Sacks. My client had the idea for the cupboard on the island, to actually be a roll-out butcher block, with storage below (which it is, but you just cant tell.)


Outside...looking in.


I love to design one "stand alone" unique piece in each kitchen, if space permits. Here I went with a hutch, featuring a unique toekick, unique hardware/pulls, a larger crown, clear display glass and more. A great way to keep things consistent with the kitchen, but give it the look of a piece of furniture.


Finished product

Family Room before
Family Room after: It can be so hard, and at times expensive to find a coffee table or ottoman to fit a seating arrangement properly, so I typically have them made. If you keep the design simple, it us usually very cost effective, such as this faux leather ottoman. The chair in the back corner was an antique 1920's chair I found on craigslist, and had refinished/upholstered in a Kravet linen (Pelaogs pattern) and lined in chrome nailheads. The pillows are made from Romo fabrics, and the window treatment fabric is a high end Osbourne and Little, that we scored in the L.A fabric district, for pennies on the dollar. We waited a long time for that backordered rug, but it was a necessary touch.

Thanks for reading!!

and become a follower!

2 comments:

Margo Tinnin October 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

I've given you a blog award! You can visit my site to get the award and details on giving awards. I love your site! www.margoiscrafty.blogspot.com

Kim October 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Great transformations I really enjoyed them! The new look is much more relaxing and bright. Would you share the paint color in the kitchen please? It's just what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP