We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Wood Alternative, Paper Flooring! Leather flooring look...

17 August 2010

This party link could not be passed up for it's utter  coolness.  This is I think a great alternative for a need without spending a bunch of money, and if it gets you through then I think that is perfect.  So, this post comes from Jami at  An Oregon Cottage check out what she has to say:


As promised, here is a video tutorial that shows all the steps needed to create a do-it-yourself floor using brown kraft paper and glue like the one we did for both our son's room makeover and our daughter's recent room makeover. It's a great alternative to wood floors and creates a cool leather look.

Brian and I are unanimous in our love of wood flooring and ourhatred disgust dislike of carpet. Bear with me a minute as I get on a little soap box about wall-to-wall carpet. Carpet is:

  • expensive
  • not an easy DIY project (more money for labor)
  • hard to clean (pets? children?...hello?)
  • "filter is full after 5 years" (exact quote from a carpet professional- translation: there's no amount of cleaning that's going to get it clean)
  • dusty, dirty edges even with regular vacuuming
  • an unchangeable color
  • not great for certain allergies
  • and, since we moved rurally, shows all of the dirt, mud and other dark things that routinely come in on people's shoes...
OK, I'm down from the box and obviously you can guess where we stand. And while I know plenty of people who love their wall-to-wall, this video is for those like us who'd like to get rid of it, either because you can't afford new or because you, too, don't like carpet.

Needless to say, we are slowly getting rid of the carpet that came with the house we are living in and we are down to two rooms left: the master bedroom and the sunken living room. They will probably get some sort of wood, but for the kid's rooms, we used this decoupage torn-paper technique that we'd used in our other house with great success.

It's easy, inexpensive and creates a (sort of) leather-look with minimal effort. It's coated with polyurethane so it wears well, although I wouldn't recommend it for high traffic areas. How inexpensive? A 12' x 11' room cost just $65 total, or about .50 a square foot, which is super for new flooring.

Here's what it looks like in our daughter's room:



I love seeing this from the hallway now instead of the brown, stained carpeting. It looks a lot airier, too, and makes the room seem bigger.



Now we can get any color of carpeting we like and when it's old and stained we can just buy a new one (and since this was just $25, it's not a huge investment).



Here you can better see what the floor looks like. The pieces of torn kraft paper all came from the same roll, but they dry light and dark (I don't know why), which I think creates a more interesting look than if it was all one color.



The best part for a kids room? Nice and airy under the bed- no "cleaning up" by pushing everything under there!

Interested in replicating this flooring option in your house? This tutorial video shows you all the steps and tools you'll need.
object width="560" height="340">

And please let us know if you use the technique- we'd love to hear (and see!) how it turned out for you!

10 comments:

G August 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

I've done this many times on walls in friends' homes as well as my own. I always love the finished product, but have never thought to do it on the floor!

My question is how well would this work on a concrete floor? All of the floors in our house are concrete and there's a good deal of black glue under the linoleum.

Karlie August 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

What the heck! Ideas rolling now! What an interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous,  August 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

I've seen this done on walls many times, but *never* on a floor!!! Amazing work!

Ms. Bake-it August 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

This is very interesting and looks great. I just made up my mind to stain the cement floor in my MB but I like the way this looks. Well, I still have plenty of time to consider it because I just started working on the ceiling and walls...

~ Tracy

Rebekah October 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Hi,
Have you heard of anyone doing this on concrete yet? I would love to do this on concrete. And what about the white paper idea, would that work? I would love to hear what you have to say!

Remodelaholic October 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

Dandelion, I have a friend who has done this in their home on concrete. Not sure what you are asking about the white?? Sorry! But good luck!

Extra! Extra! Blog All About It August 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM  

I have cement as well - any other prep work other than using TSP to clean? How is your friend's floor that was installed on concrete holding up? I'd love to do this over the vinyl in our bathroom. Need to figure out a good primer for it, though. Thanks for the tutorial.

As always, love your blog...

XO,
Kimberly

Kim at MossIsAwesome September 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

I LOVE THIS! So much so that I did it in my powder room first as my test site. Did a dark stain on it and used a super high gloss finish. LOOKS AMAZING! Now planning on doing the rest of the house, room by room this way. I did a step by step blog about it, which includes mistakes I made along the way. http://mossisawesome.wordpress.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP