We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Backyard Beauty; Deck Makeover Galore! Guest

09 August 2010

I love seeing new projects, and when this one arrived in my inbox I knew that  I had to share it with you.  This project from Coco of Cococozy is absolutely stunning.  She had a great space to begin with and very nice pieces, but look at the difference, it is really incredible.  The colors are fabulous  and they weave in and out of the separate spaces bringing them together, yet the spaces are defined.  What are your thoughts, I really LOVE, LOVE it all....


All photos in this post by Coco of Cococozy

After a whirlwind makeover, my outdoor living room! My little deck in the Hollywood Hills refreshed! (above)

About two months ago, I received an email from a reader saying something like: "Coco, you had said you were going to makeover your deck at the beginning of the year. I've been waiting. Where is your deck makeover?". Meaning no disrespect at all, I archived the email...a haunting reminder of all of the things on my to-do list that I hadn't done. I do appreciate all of the notes I receive from readers...but for some reason, this one email really hit home (literally).

So rather than jumping on the task of doing my deck right after I received said email...I procrastinated even more...days went by...weeks...and then months. It was on my to-do list but I knew it would take weeks and weeks to makeover the deck the way I wanted...maybe even a month.

Well lucky for me CF, related to best of friend FF, popped into the picture. CF emailed me about a week ago saying she was coming to town and that FF had suggested she reach out to me...I was thrilled. I wanted CF to come stay with me at my tiny little house in the hills...lucky for me she accepted my invite for one night and then she was heading off to Malibu for a bachelorette party!

After CF accepted my invite, I started to think...this is so great...a friend from New Orleans coming to visit...lah dee dah...where will go to dinner...how much fun...we'll have a blast...!

But then the thoughts got a little more involved (a little darker perhaps)...hmmm...CF lives with FF and CCF in a huge mansion in New Orleans...I live in a tiny cottage in the Hollywood Hills...I have a guest coming to visit who lives in a house that is about 18,000 square feet...I live in a flea size cottage with all rooms in under 750 square feet...hmmmm...oh no...my house is small...oh dear...hmmmm....ohhhhhh dear....oh no.....ohhhhh boy ohhhhh boy....

It was after this mansion vs. cottage realization that I went into literal shock. Inertia set in. I was frozen with fear.

Well dear readers...fear is sometimes the best motivator. Remember my deck that I had not redecorated for 6 months...well, for no apparent reason, I decided a deck redecorate in less than a week would be the solution to the mansion vs. cottage issue. Makes no sense...I know...but this is the way my mind works. (Btw, one person at my office laughed at my dilemma and said I should just put up a bunch of mirrors around the house and maybe it would give the illusion of more space...grrrrrrr)

All of this to say...here is the Part 1 of a series on my deck redecorate...will share with you details on fabrics, accessories and costs in upcoming post(s).

It took me exactly 5 days to do it all...deck refinished, fences painted, all furniture reupholstered, teak furniture refinished, custom pillows made, accessories bought and flowers added in...

Take a look at the before and after...I actually liked the way it looked before...very rustic...canyon style living...but I think this new look is good for a bit of change.

BEFORE, my deck was rustic and woodsy and covered with leaves!(above)

AFTER, a corner of my deck is more tailored and bright colors nicely contrast with the white fence. (above)

AFTER, my new outdoor fabrics in a mix of playful prints! (above)

WAY BEFORE, my deck back in 2002 when I first moved into my house...it was well worn, dreary and was about to collapse. (above)

BEFORE, back in 2009 when this photo was taken and until last week, my deck was monochromatic in browns and tans...it blended right in with the natural setting (I liked that by the way...the blending). (above)

AFTER, I introduced a color palette of greens, browns, off whites and blues to compliment the outdoor hillside setting. (above)




AFTER, a tall centerpiece floral arrangement on the dining table of white Daisies and Pom Poms blends well with the setting and these flowers last for eons outdoors! (above)

BEFORE, the main seating area in this outdoor living room lacked style or pops of color. (above)



AFTER, the outdoor living room area is grounded with a geometric cane pattern outdoor rug and reupholstered cushions on the teak outdoor furniture. (above and below)


I love a pretty white daisy! (above)

I know this outdoor room makeover did not turn my house into a mansion...but I'm pretty happy with the results!

Please let me know what you think...good or bad...(you are welcome to not like the results too...if you don't just let me know...I love hearing all opinions and feedback...). Comment below.

Also, thank you to the reader and CF who both motivated me to hop into action.

xoxo
Coco

P.S. I struggle a bit with this makeover as I did like the rough unfinished look of the deck before...now I feel like I'll have to polish and shine and wash and primp the space all summer long and into the winter. Before, I just let the leaves pile up, let the furniture get dirty, let the teak weather...it was what you might call the "lazy look". LOL!

P.P.S. Stay tuned for more posts on the deck including resources on where I got everything and a post on how the deck can go from colorful to all white - I'll tell you how later! - (this will be on Coco's blog linked at the top of the page!)


Is your jaw on the floor too?
I LOVE the new look and hope to someday have an awesome space like this too!
What do you like the most?

9 comments:

Unknown August 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

I've now found the perfect pattern for painting the outdoor rug. Beautiful design, and I love the pops of blue and green!

Star Talks August 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

i ADORE this outdoor space. i LOVE the color scheme!!!! great job... truly! something i always wonder about outdoor spaces such as these--how do you plan to keep it all in good condition when rain season rolls around? are you going to buy covers for everything and keep it covered through the winter? i am working on refinishing my outdoor furniture right now and am thinking a lot about weather-guarding. thanks for sharing! great post!

Staci at Craftify It ! August 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

I love it all! Can she come decorate my back patio now!?! The colors are brilliant!

Theresa Plas August 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

O my gosh - it's darling! Perfect size and I love the arrangement, colors and the great accessories! Very cozy and inviting indeed!

Sandi August 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Love it. It was lovely before, but I love the color. It makes it feel like what the outdoors are. Big and Bright and Great.

Sandi

Brittany H August 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Pretty sure if we all had a deck like that, no one would spend time indoors. It's so energetic I love it.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP