We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Shut Up! Interior Shutters, Guest

24 May 2010

(I hope that title isn't too rude, it is the first thing that came to mind)...

Any-who, If you've looked back at my archives or read my blog at all you may know that I actually love the idea of interior shutters.  We did them in our living room and a bedroom in our Logan house.  But both times that I installed made them, I just used something I had.  So, when I saw these beautiful instructions from Suzanne at Meridian Road I knew you all had to see the perfect way to get a custom interior shutter for your house.   Here is what she did.

A few years ago, we added on to our house. We ended up with a really large family room. It's on the north side of the house, but we put three windows and a pair of french doors in, so the room is usually flooded with light during the day. We don't have a lot of neighbors, so I wasn't too concerned with adding any curtains for privacy at first. There's one window that faces the road, and after awhile, I started feeling like I was sitting in a fully lit store window at night. I didn't want curtains. Mostly because I didn't want to sew them, but also because I wanted something with more personality.

We had some tongue and groove paneling left over from our laundry room project, so I came up with a plan. Something that looked like barn doors. Something like this.



Only different.
I did very little actual measuring. I held up the planks to the window, and marked where I needed to cut them.


I glued the planks together,




Wiping off the excess as I went. I didn't clamp them together to dry. I just laid them flat and put paint cans all around the perimeter to keep the boards in place.

These are your best friend. I went through a lot of these while I was gluing.

I did have to measure the width of the window, deduct 1/2 inch, then divide that measurement in half. That's so I'd have two doors of equal width that would fit inside the window but still open and shut easily. For the length, I only deducted 1/4 of an inch of the total length. 

I used leftover strips of lattice for the trim detail. Here's how the shutters look on the window. 

(A word about the chair. I think it's ugly as sin. Way too modern looking. BUT~it's a massage chair. A very good massage chair. Function won over form in this case.)
I was surprised that they fit as well as they did, since my methods were kind of unorthodox and I just made this all up as I went. I painted the shutters with the same paint that we used on the window trim, and used plain  gate hinges. I spray painted those black for contrast. The handles were very cheap cabinet door handles, also black. I liked the shape, but have thought a few times since we put them on that I should have found some bigger ones.
The inside of the shutters is trimmed out a little more plainly. The tongue and groove is a little rougher on that side, too, but I didn't sand it. I like the roughness on that side.


It wasn't really a hard project, but I did have to give myself a pep talk before I used the saw. If you want a different look for your windows, I'd recommend giving some shutters a whirl. You could use sheets of bead board paneling if you didn't want to cut individual pieces of tongue and groove, and there are so many different looks you could go for, depending on where you place the trim on the door.
One more look.



Don't the look great?  
I am doing these, for sure, in my next house. 
 I love everything about them.

7 comments:

Heidi May 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

I love the shutters they are so cute. were did you get the tongue and groove paneling?

Nancy's Daily Dish May 24, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

I LOVE what you did! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It looks professional and to think you just kinda did as you went along. Super job!

Maureen May 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

Suzanne, I love these shutters, you did such a great job, and by just making it up as you went? Amazing. Congrats on being featured!

Sanctuary Home December 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Great idea! I may use this with a future client. Thanks for the inspiration! : )
Susan

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP