We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

From Table to Seat; Guest

24 May 2010

I hope by now that you all know how much I love when a project that involves re-imagining and reusing something that we already have.  So,, when I saw this project I had to ask if I could share it. Jenni from Peppertowne did a fabulous job with an old coffee table, check it out:


Confession:  I lost the 'before' picture for this project.

I swear I took the pic.  But where is it?
I've search through the endless piles of photo chaos on my computer.  Oh, don't judge me.  You know the photo chaos...you've been lost in it too. 
The abyss of unmarked photos scattered all over your computer.  

Promise: I promise to save my pictures in a marked and uber-organized way.  At lease until I'm in a hurry or the cheese quesadillas are burning...

Craigslist rules!  I found a photo similar to the coffee table I originally bought.
My coffee table cost me $10 bucks.  But, I needed a window seat!  
I was looking something with modern lines and a neutral feel.

TAA-DAA!!




This was an easy project with some basic upholstery. 

Step #1: Prep and paint the wood frame.
After removing the lovely smoke mirrored glass, I painted the table and then sanded up the edges a bit to let the dark wood show through.

Step #2: Cut some wood board to replace the glass mirrors. 

Step #3: Cut a piece of foam for the bench seat.  The best way to cut foam is a band saw.  But if you don't have one, the second best way is with a sereded kitchen knife.
Glue the foam to the board using spray adhesive.


Step #4: Using a staple gun, cover the foam with a liner cloth. 
Securely staple on the backside of the board.  Use a firm even pressure around the edges.  As you can see in the picture, I use my body weight to push foam in and then staple the fabric.  This makes a nice rounded edge on your seat. 


Step #5: Cover your seat with the upholstery fabric.
Using the same technique as the liner cloth, use a firm even pressure and staple the fabric in place.  Always cut away and excess fabric.  Pull your corners in and staple them like crazy. Remember, the underside of your project doesn't have to look perfect.  This is not an art of perfection...and that's why I love it!  Also, I'm using an air powered staple gun, which is the bomb.  If you don't have access to one of these, a hand powered gun is great.  I've done many many project with a hand gun.
Step #6: Staple your trim.
Adding a trim gives finished look to your project.  Here I choose a burlap natural fiber that fit in with my neutral scheme.  Simply, staple the trim along the edge of your board. 
 
Here's a trick I learned from a great upholsterer, when the two ends of your trim meet, simply unravel the ends, cross them over each other and staple in place on the underside of the board. This way your cushion will fit perfectly without the added bulk of the extra trim.


 Step #7: Put your bench together.
Add a few L brackets to secure your seat.

That's it!
Enjoy your bench!


Isn't it lovely! 
 I love the fabric, I love the color and the slight distressing, 
I really love it all!

17 comments:

Jen T May 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

I LOVE it!!! I have a similar table that I can do this with - brilliant! Thanks for posting.

Kelsey May 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

AMAZING transformation! I see tables like this ALL the time in the free section of craigslist...I'm gonna snatch one up one of these days and make one of these!!!!

Sarah May 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Oh I love it! I actually used to have one of these so that's too bad. I didn't think to do this with it!

Tales From My Empty Nest May 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

Thanks for visiting me today. I always love to read your blog and see what you have been up to. You are so creative. And that table turned bench is awesome!!! You did the best job on it and I love the fabric. I need to email you and ask about a project I am thinking about tackling. Just need some help with paint, etc. I will send you an email soon. Have a wonderful week. Love & blessings from NC!

Unknown May 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

This is a super project - how many of those 80s coffee tables are lying around (my dear MIL has one I know)...

I love the transformation!

:) Laura

Kelli May 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

Coffee tables in that style are a dime a dozen around here, what a great way to reuse them, I am loving the creativity. I will approach them with a new eye now!

~Kelli @ Smidgens

Sheri@childmade.com May 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

No. Way. That is fabulous! And I must say, you look like you should be on one of the make-over shows -- simply lovely. (I usually look like I crawled out of the sewer.) And thanks for linking up! (ps. the search function now includes party link-ups.) I hope you share more of these re-fab projects.

Tamara March 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM  

Love this! I have some ugly hand me downs that I was just going to repaint but now I a going to make them ottomans!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP