We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

In Distress; Fire Place Mantel, Guest

25 May 2010

April at The Painted Cupboard has a very great looking shabby chic/distressed technique that I loved when I saw it.  Check it out!


Yes, it is finally finished...I can hardly believe it myself!!! And I must be CRAZY for showing these awful pictures but, here is a sneak peak anyway...These pictures were taken in my garage with terrible lighting so it is really hard to see the true paint color ( more of a taupe/khaki) and finish. As soon as it is moved into the master bedroom, I will take and re post new ones.
As far as the finish goes...I love it! As I stated in an earlier post, I was trying a new technique and was a little worried about it and although, it isn't exactly like the Caromal Colours finish, I am very pleased.
So, how did I do it??



  1. I sanded, cleaned and prepped it.
  2. I cut to size Luan (very thin wood) and wood glued it to cover the more ornate details along the front sides - it was a little too fancy for me.
  3. I then wiped Minwax Paste Wax over the areas where I wanted the wood to show through after the final sanding ( it helps to make the paint look like it is "chipping" off).
  4. I "smooshed", "glopped" on or whatever you want to call it, the first coat or base coat of paint. I used Linen milk paint by General Finishes. You can find it on the Internet or Four Chairs in Lindon, Utah. *It actually looked like I had let my kids paint it!
  5. I then brushed 2 more coats of the same Linen paint to make sure I had even coverage.
  6. I applied another round of paste wax to the areas where I wanted the base coat to peak through from under the topcoat.
  7. I then put 2 coats of the topcoat Rittenhouse Ivory by Old Village Paints, again from Four Chairs.
  8. After it had dried and "cured" for a day or 2, I sanded and distressed it using a hammer and nail to make "worm holes" and "nicks and dings" paying particular attention to where normal wear would occur. I really wanted this to look like it had been around for a long time and had several layers of paint underneath.
  9. I applied Old Dad's Old World Stain like a glaze...leaving it in all the "nooks and crannies" to make it look old and aged.
  10. Finally, I put 3 coats of General Finishes polyurethane on for added protection.

Before:
After:










What do you think?

7 comments:

One Life Many Journeys May 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

You have received th Versitile Blogger award. Head over to my blog to pick up the button.

http://onelifemanyjourneys.blogspot.com/2010/05/someone-finds-me-versitile.html

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP