We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Whisper Wood Cottage Home Tour

24 May 2010

I invited Whisper Wood Cottage to give us a small home tour, I know you won't be disappointed!  here it is:

Thank you, Cassity, for inviting me to share some rooms in my home with your readers. Our "cottage" has been a work in progress over the past four years. It is still far from done, but we do have a couple rooms that make me smile...the kitchen & the master bedroom.

 
Why do you love these rooms?
My favorite thing about our kitchen and master bedroom is the fresh, light feeling that both rooms have. With the pine ceilings we inherited in the main living space, rooms can often feel a bit dark...even on the brightest days. The colors and textures we used help to reflect the light and brighten the spaces. I also like the casual cottage style and the unique junk/antique touches we've added. 
What did you do to make them this way?
For the light, airy feeling, the key thing is white paint...Swiss Coffee from Behr. To me, it is the perfect warm white. We've been using it on all the cabinetry and trim in the house. In the master bedroom, we also used it on the walls. Another special touch was adding lighting inside the upper cabinets in the kitchen. 
For cottage style in the kitchen, we added beadboard to the back of the lighted cabinets and around the center island. In the master bedroom, we used a horizontal plank wall treatment on the closets. We used white crown molding and baseboards top off the cottage feel.
Bringing in unique items is one of my favorite parts of decorating. For example, the door treatments on the walk-in closet and the master bath consist of doors rescued from a university renovation and salvaged flat track and trolley from an 1800s barn. The second closet was specifically built around a set of antique store-front doors from downtown Duluth, MN. In the kitchen, I love the industrial stools, the large "I", and the vintage brass school bell.
KITCHEN...








Did you have any problems putting it together, how did you solve those problems?
I don't think there were any major problems. Of course, my husband is a very skilled DIYer, so he probably solves problems regularly without my even knowing about it. If you see the before and after photos of the kitchen and the master bedroom, you can imagine how time-intensive these makeovers were. We tend to work on things over time...as our schedules and budgets allow. Time and money...anyone else have those challenges?
Was this a big or small investment? Time? Cost wise?
The main expenses in the kitchen were counters, paint, trim, and lighting. In the master bedroom, the wall treatment, bed, trim, and flooring were the main expenses. All of the other items were antique/junk finds or items we already owned. Time was the main expense by far!
What was your inspiration?
Everything we do takes time. I like to live in a space for a while to get a feel for how the space flows and works. I also like to figure a way to bring my style and personality into each room. Over the years, I've also learned that it takes time to collect the right pieces. I find that rushing into or forcing a project can result in decorator's or DIYer's remorse. To avoid that, I wait until everything feels right and I know exactly what I want.
For the master bedroom, I knew I wanted a canopy bed. It went on sale during the makeover, so the timing was perfect. The closet that we added was inspired by and designed around the antique store-front doors I found three years prior. The sliding doors on the walk-in closet and master bath were actually found after the makeover had started. I had been painting the original standard doors to be used in the room. Once the salvaged doors were found and teamed with a pair of flat track salvaged from an old barn, the sliding doors became unexpected key style pieces in the room.
MASTER BEDROOM...







  
 
  
  
 


Would you do anything differently?
Hmmm. The kitchen was the first room in the house that we worked on...one of those necessary but forced projects. When we moved in, the faucet was leaking and the counters were all uneven and colored a dingy forest green. They were beyond saving and had to be replaced right away. If I were to do the kitchen now, I would upgrade the countertops, find a more unique island, and hang a vintage light fixture.
Is the space done? Do you have more plans?
No space is ever really done. I always have plans! The kitchen still needs new flooring, but that will wait until we redo the laundry area.
The walk-in closet in the master bedroom is somewhat functional but not working as well as I need it to. I plan to reorganize it better this summer.
We have lots of other projects underway right now...a makeover of the guest bath, the fireplace remodel in the living room, and lots of other smaller jobs around the house. And I always have my eyes open for the next antique/junk piece that inspires a new project or direction!
Thanks again to Cassity for hosting my home tour!
If you'd like to see before-and-after photos or other posts related to the rooms above:

22 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} May 24, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

What a gorgeous,peaceful serene space! It really takes me away. I love all the creamy white with the wood accents. Drooling over the whole place!!
Love it Amy!
Thanks for sharing Cassidy!

-heather

Low Tide High Style May 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Beautiful! I've been a fan of Amy's decorating style for a long time now, and I loved this great tour of her beautiful home! Thanks Amy and Cassity!

Kat :)

Olivia May 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

Hello dear, this home is darling I love all the oldy stuff used...
hugs,
Olivia

WhisperWood Cottage May 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

Thanks for inviting me to give a quick tour of my home, Cassity. I appreciate everyone who joined the tour! Please stop over at the cottage to say hello!

Amy

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys May 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Love the bench, love the "Y" (my name is Yanet so I'd love to find something like that), LOVE the barn sliding door.

Unknown May 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

I love the light and texture in these rooms - you've really capitalized on large pieces (and that awesome ceiling) without making anything too fussy.

Cheers,
Laura

Anne Maskell May 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

I love how the rooms are so light and airy feeling. Beautiful job! I'm visiting from TCJ.

Anonymous,  May 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Absolutely beautiful! I wish my bedroom were bigger so I could have a bed like that!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! May 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

This is truely one of the loveliest homes in the blogosphere right now. Thanks for sharing and helping to make this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Rory

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Beautiful photos. Thanks for linking to Woo Hoo! Wednesday for all of us to share. Please link back to Woo Hoo! Wednesday on your post or sidebar. Thank you so much.

Unknown May 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Following you from Welcome Wednesday. Pls follow me back when you get the chance.

http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/

Maggie Muggins May 28, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

Oh my goodness, I'm in love! When can I move in? OK, just kidding. But what fantastic rooms. What talent!

Helena May 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I love every room! What a beautiful home.

Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session over at Life in the Pitts.

Room to Inspire June 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM  

Thanks for the great tour - I just love that door in the Master Bedroom! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea

Show Me Mama June 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

I am your new follower. You have a lovely blog and gorgeous pictures! Come and visit me when you get a chance http://showmemama.blogspot.com

Rabiul Islam October 26, 2010 at 5:36 AM  

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your

information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the

success.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP