We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Dresser Turned Buffet; Furniture Revamp!

24 September 2011

Dresser Turned Buffet; Furniture Revamp!



This is my $10 dresser from Goodwill. I found it months ago and have been working on it my spare time.



I wanted something tall, a bit narrow and with drawers to use in my dining room. I was looking for a buffet, but this fit the bill perfectly.

It had great lines and those nice dovetail joints, and the drawers were fabulous.

The paint was hard to get off, so I stripped it, and sanded, and stripped it and sanded........


It will eventually go into Olivia's room when we move around the upstairs, and I wanted it to be a nice, fresh, neutral color, so I painted it "Camembert" - the same color as the bottom of the dining room walls and trim. Her room will be in chocolate brown and pale green, but since the dresser is going to be in the dining room for a while I wanted something to snazz it up a bit.

The "H" is chocolate brown and the embellishment is a pretty pale green.


I added green glass knobs.....


And finally put it in the dining room this weekend. It holds my formal silverware, all my table cloths and other table linens (arranged by season of course - yes I'm that dorky) and still has plenty of room to spare.....



I painted it inside and out (I wanted the drawers to be nice and fresh) and coated all the runners of the wooden drawers with candle wax so they'd slide easier. There's no metal hardware at all in the drawers - it's wood on wood.



It's the perfect size for the dining room and looks pretty when you come through the front door.


Hopefully, the "H" makes it seem NOT so much like a bedroom dresser.....

I also found some great stuff at the Habitat for Humanity Restore (where I could spend a LOT of time if I'm not careful) so I'll fill you in that soon.

We're having a "Thank You" party next Saturday for the volunteers from the benefit concert so I'll be busy with that this week.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day!
Thank you to all those men and women who have served our country.      
                                                                                                                                   
This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!

Other fun revamp projects:

8 comments:

Karen September 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

Love how the dresser turned out.
I did have a question about why you stripped the dresser if you were painting it (and not staining). I understand sanding really well before painting. Isn't it usually enough to do that and use a primer? Thanks - I enjoy your blog very much.

Anonymous,  September 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM  

I really like how this came out. I've been looking for the perfect dresser to hold some of my studio supplies in the living room to keep the out of sight and out of the way. A dresser in the living room (or dining room) can be a bit weird, but as you've shown us, it can also be awesome and a perfectly functional and beautiful piece.

teddyiris September 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM  

I love your blog and I get so much inspiration on how to make my home better. Thank you so much and please keep it up! <3

Iris, Hong Kong

Lo-train September 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

I am working on a dresser refinishing project of my own.... and have been picturing it having green glass knobs! Where did you find them and how much did they cost? I would love to hear back from you, my email address is lorrainecarp@gmail.com.

Tina September 25, 2011 at 2:12 AM  

Your dresser turned out beautiful! The H in the middle definitely spruces it up a lot! I have an old dresser that I wanted to re-do and put in the dining room or the living room. Now that the weather is cooler, I think I'll finally get it done!

Anonymous,  September 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM  

Hi!
I'm new to your blog (and blogs in general!)
Just wanted to let you know that i'm so inspired by this post - I can't wait to get started on my own projects!
Keep up the good work,
Ellyse
http://trinketsandtalmud.wordpress.com/

Deb September 25, 2011 at 8:16 PM  

Thank you everyone :)

Karin: The dresser had about 10 coats of paint on it and was bubbling in places. I probably didn't need to strip it, but I wanted to make sure I got a nice even finish on it in the end. Probably just more work in the end - LOL!

I really love the Monogram on it - it's my favorite part so I'm glad everyone liked it :)

Lorraine, I sent you an e-mail - thanks!

Unknown October 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM  

What a beautiful makeover! You're right, the lines are great. I love a curvy dresser. Or curvy buffet. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP