We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

A Dining Room Chair Makeover

28 September 2011

A Dining Room Chair Makeover

Remember these Louis XVI style square back chairs I snagged from Craigslist for only $125 for all four?

They have slowly but surely been receiving updates on a weekly basis and they are finally complete! They went from this...


To this...
As soon as we got the chairs home, I started looking for inspiration of what I wanted the chairs to look like in the end. I first turned to some blog queens for their input and the amazingEmily A. Clark suggested a fresh coat of paint and new upholstery. I completely agreed and took to the web for some inspiration. The entire transformation began with this chair from Ballard Designs...
Do you see that price?? $429-581= Crazytown
In an effort to bring the c-list chairs up to par with the a-list Ballard version, I started with sanding and painting the frames white (I used Valspar's Honeymilk.)
Then it was time to buck up and give upholstering the good ole college try. I decided to use canvas drop clothes because they were the perfect color already and I wouldn't feel awful if the upholstering went terribly bad and had to be ripped apart.


To give them a punch of color, I taped two strips to the back panels and painted them a blue color to match our dinnerware.

Once the chairs were painted and upholstered, they looked a little too new for my liking. So, I mixed a homemade glaze (a combo of mustard, gray, and green paints with water did the trick) and ran a sanding block over the edges to give some age to the chairs.

I absolutely love how they turned out and am proud that I was able to fight my impatient-ness (that is so not a word, but I am going with it) to take my time and do them correctly!

So what do you think, did I take the chairs from the original c-list (craigslist) state to the a-list (Ballard Designs) state?
Original
Inspiration
Finished (back)
New dining room chairs and wall photo gallery
                                                                                 
This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!





Take a peek at more lovely chairs:
Desk and Chair Facelift!

p.s. I am over at Kristen's blog today.  Check it out here.

8 comments:

Unknown September 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Beautiful job! I love the stripe to add some interest. What a great find.
Kelly

teddyiris September 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

Honest the original one looks so old-fasioned that no one would ever notice it and now it looks amazing!! I love ittttt :)

lisaroy September 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM  

That was an amazing score and you did a beautiful job - love the stripes!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP