We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

PR 2: Painting the Bookcase Interiors Black!

06 April 2011

Progress Report #2
Painting the Bookcase Interiors Black!

Well, this may be my "#2" progress report, but it is not crap!  (Sorry, I find potty humor kinda funny!)

I painted the shelves.  I was given the gift of a good long nap time (thank you Etta and Lydia!) so I just went for it.   Actually you don't ever really  know how long nap time will be when it begins, so I started working on the lowest shelves first... I got the bottom three shelf backs painted before I had "helpers".  Thank heaven for baby packs- hands free!

I used the black door paint that I already owned... I had only one problem, it is semi gloss.  After I got it up I realized it needed to be matte (like the paper test version), or eggshell at least, but it needs more than one coat of paint anyway, so I will have to get to that next.

Do you likey?  Me Likey. (Hey Mikey... that rhymes)  And since it is my house, I am trying to make myself happy.... so I guess if you don't like it, just be glad, my brush wielding self isn't on a rampage...

Way Before...

Before, (with test paper)

Starting to Paint...
 
By the way, we hung a small T.V. in the shelves, the black helps to disguise it a lot.   

We don't actually have TV channels, it is just a movie player.  Actually I got a great deal on buying it on Amazon.  It is a region free player, 19 inch flat screen for $109. bucks.  NOT bad I tell you, I looked round.

It is perfect for the Dutch movies we buy to help Etta supplement her language learning.  Otherwise, it is also there purely for distraction purposes when I need to cook or clean the kitchen (my excuse is that at least it is in a foreign language...most of the time)  

(Oh ya, I rented Tangled, hadn't seen it yet.  I LOVE IT...
 I may have literally watched it 7 times in two days, and no it wasn't in a foreign language, so no excuses)

After- Ta da! 



I am really happy with the black.  

Honestly though, if I hadn't seen this image that I posted about, I don't think I would have thought of it.  Which is sad since our doors are all going to the dark side too, and it really compliments them.    

Oh, and I do know that I haven't "staged" the shelves.  I am not naturally a strong "decorator"- I am not into knick-knacks at all, and until I am sure exactly what colors I am using for the whole space, and I am not purchasing anything for them.   I guess it will be something that will be saved for another day... which is good, cuz I need little projects to do for you all!

Tell me, would you ever consider painting the interiors of your shelves black?  I'd love to see them if you do!

p.s. On the family front Etta had her first ponytail- so I have to show you all a few pictures.



Have a great night!

21 comments:

Prudently Painted Vintage April 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM  

I actually got some gold poster board from hobby lobby and cut out for the openings of my shelves. Then adhered them to the back of the shelves. I love having a contrasting color in the back!

Love the black in the back of yours. It gives it so much depth.

Cute pics of your girls :)

Judy April 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM  

I really love the black interior alot.. I love your kids.. and I love your board and batten under the window into the kitchen. Do you have an old link to how you did that? There are so many ways.. I see where you put a regular baseboard on the wall, and then put the horizontal board on top of that.. rather than using the baseboard as the horizontal board.. if you know what I mean.. I would love to hear your philosophy and how you did it.. very pretty.

{Peppermint Plum} April 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

I love it! It looks great. Those shelves are awesome. Great job! :)

-Annie @ {PP}

Hyphen Interiors April 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

Love the black. Yes, I'd do it... I have, but in charcoal gray. Love the contrast to the white shelves. And, what sweet pics of the babies.

Ms. Bake-it April 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM  

Your shelves look great! I like the contrast. I have some built in shelves in my dining room that I am thinking about adding color to but the back of the shelves are tiled and I do not want to damage them but the sides are what really annoy me because they have the holes for shelf adjustments and they just stand out so much.

Your daughters are adorable!

~ Tracy

Cassie Bustamante April 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM  

i love the black background! they look awesome! and the girls are adorable!

Sydney Steenland April 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

I am quite partial to painting things in black lately, on one of my blogs I've only just posted up my sitting room, check out my black bookcase/ shelf. Love yours too! http://sqeezethejuice.blogspot.com/

Sarah

Vicky April 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

#1. Your girls are adorable! Pic 3 is my favorite!!

#2. "Tangled" was fantastic! I did not want it to end!! I mean, I know the story ;), but the graphics were outstanding. I just loved it. I have a 15 year old daughter, and she wanted to rent it, not me. Now, guess what she is getting for Easter?

#3. I like the black. I am not as brave as you...I would probably have just used poster board like another poster said...fear of committment to something that bold.

Enjoyed the post! Take care!

joy!
Vicky
Oil In My Lamp

Christina April 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

I love the look of this!! It's classic and clean...and the TV looks great there!

And your daughters are super cute :)

Jaime S. April 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM  

It looks so great! I love the black, but I also really, really love the white on the walls and the color on the ceiling. Brilliant! and your girls are so cute.

Bring Pretty Back April 6, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

LOVE the black! It looks amazing! I need to try this myself.
Your daughters are so adorable.
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Deb April 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

I think the black looks great! I wish I would have seen this a couple weeks ago -- I painted the back of my new basement built-ins a dark charcoal gray and chickened out a third of the way through ... and painted them neutral again. I couldn't visualize the finished product so I decided to stop before I had too much to repaint. Fun progress report. Yay for naps!

The Clay Trowel April 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM  

Cassity, I love how real this post is. It is SO easy to get wrapped up in the land of Blogs and wanting to make ours just perfect like so and so's! Sometimes I feel I need to just go back to my roots, and really know why I started a blog. I am happy it looks like that is what you are doing and we'll love seeing more of "you".

Crazy Wonderful April 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM  

Cassity-

I can't get over what a HUGE difference that little change made! It makes the shelves so much more dramatic, and a real focal point! And, seriously, how adorable are your girls!!! Yay for ponytails!!!

Shelley

Katie April 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

My jaw hit the floor when I realized it was pictures of YOUR house I was looking at! I am amazed at how you guys are able to bring actual character into your cookie cutter house that I saw almost 2 summers ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the details in all the molding you put up everywhere. AMAZING!

Cynthia April 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

Oooh! I love that! Have you considered stenciling a white quatrefoil or some other geometric design on the black? It doesn't NEED that, of course, but it sure looks cool!

Love the woodwork you guys have done. I bought a reversing wainscotting router bit with the intention of doing panel-style board and batten but I've still never gotten around to it. Your project REALLY makes me want to though!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP