We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Easy Faux Carriage Door Tutorial!

27 April 2011

Easy Faux Carriage Door Tutorial!  By Terry

I am honored to be doing a guest post for Cassity at Remodelaholic. It's a pleasure to introduce myself. I am Terry and I live in western Illinois. I am married and have two grown children and we are recent empty nesters. I am also fairly new to blogging since November, 2010 with my blog foreverdecorating.blogspot.com.
It has been a learning curve and I have begun to train myself to think about my projects with blogging  in mind; ie: before pictures and tutorials.

I was raised with parents that made everything they possibly could and forced to sew all my clothes at the age of eight (now I am thankful). So it comes natural to me that, I could and would, tear into any home renovation or make anything I could (or maybe it's because I am cheap). It's a hobby, a lifestyle and a joy for me to do these things. I believe that if you want it bad enough you will figure out a way to have it. I am blessed with a God given creative gene that I am very thankful for.

I recently posted on my painted carriage house garage doors, but with this guest post, I would like to give more of a tutorial of how I did this and why.






These finished garage doors came about one day when my hubby announced that he wanted to replace our existing garage doors with carriage house style garage doors. First, I must stress that nothing was wrong with our insulated garage doors.
Granted they were bright white when the sun would shine on them, otherwise, no problems. We also have three huge windows in the front of the garage with the garage doors being side entry.



We get plenty of light in our garage...no need for real windows in the garage doors. So I decided to surprise my hubby with the doors of his dreams on the cheap...just for the cost of the paint. I painted the white garage doors the color of the body of our upper story. It's called Ramie by Sherwin Williams. That solved the problem of the glaring white doors. Then I had to make two stencils, one for the hinge and one for the handles.


Easy to do. I had clear stencil sheets, so I just drew and cut out my stencils. Then I used black acrylic paint in those small plastic bottles to paint these on the doors. I mixed some white acrylic paint with the black to make the gray for shadowing and painting the details of the screws.



Here is what the doors looked like when my hubby came home from work. 


He saw the doors and really like them and then said, "But I wanted windows!" with a kind of whining sound!!! Okay, back to work. Using blue painters tape, I simply taped off four squares in each raised panel and painted the windows with black paint. When the tape was removed, it appeared that these windows had mullions to match the ones in our real windows. I then made the gray paint again and painted shadows.


With hubby happy, all I had to do was seal the acrylic paint with water based exterior sealer. It has been two years since I did this process and the doors look the same today as the day I painted them, so this sealer for exterior works great. It can be purchased at any hardware or paint store.



Total cost for this project was just the cost of paint and sealer...around $25. I'd say that's about a penny on the dollar of what real carriage garage doors would cost and hubby is happy!

Thanks Cassity for the chance to do this guest post. Please stop by and visit me at my Forever Decorating! blog.

13 comments:

Caroline (Piorra Maison) April 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM  

I like projects like that. Did Hubby thank you for saving a ton of $$$$$$$$. That is the bonus. They look great. until I read the post I had no idea it was tromp l'oeil
Great post
Caroline

Crazy Wonderful April 27, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

This is SO COOL!!! I've been wanting carriage doors FOR-EVER, and will totally be adding this to my list! Thank you so much for the post :D

Shelley

whimages April 27, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

SOOOOOO COOL and inventive! We have wanted carriage house doors forever too. Luckily, (LOL) our orginal un-insulated garage doors developed a huge crack in the metal and we had to replace them...with carriage doors ofcourse! I LOVE what you've done, great thinking!

Savannah Granny April 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

Thanks so for featuring Terry. She is one smart lady.
Terry, Thank you for this awesome tutorial. I would never have thought to do this. It is like magic the way you created this. One more thing for my to do list.

Ginger :)

Savannah Granny April 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

Cassity, Thanks for the feature of Terry. I am a new follower. Please visit my site. Hugs, Ginger

Karrie April 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM  

How stinkin' creative!!! I am in awe! What a simple way to fix a problem! :)

Susan April 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

Terry, the doors look SOOO much better with the carriage look. Glad you guest posted. I signed up for your blog. I didn't see an email connection to sign up for. LOVE your home and look forward to seeing more.

T. Navis May 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

Oh.my.gosh...this is SO AWESOME!!!! I have seen other tutes where they put wood on the front - way too much work... Any way you would ever submit an uploadable a file for us non-creatives to copy your drawings???

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP