We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Amazing Armchair Makeover

18 April 2011

Amazing Armchair Makeover by That's My Letter

“J” is for Jaime – Today I’m the guest blogger here at Remodelaholic. I jumped at the chance to
be part of Cassity’s great collection, thank you for asking.

My blog, That’s My Letter,
has evolved into a make this, change that, do-it-yourself virtual scrapbook for my
little hobby of working with my hands.  The title came from my kids, when they were
younger they’d always point out the first letter of their name and say ‘that’s my letter’ mom so I
went with it. And now I title every post with a letter and one word to describe the project. It has
become my signature.

I’m a Midwestern girl born and raised in Minnesota but married to a New Yorker so we're
here on the East Coast. All my life I’ve been creating, I was a studio art major in college and
worked a bit for an interior designer. Now I have three young kids and life is busy but I love the
challenge and always search for the best way to make it work.
My recent project, an armchair makeover, is the focus of today’s post. A quick before and
after:



This chair was a Salvation Army find at a frugal price of $20! It was in fine shape but I wanted
to freshen it up a bit, make it my own.


I started by removing all the old upholstery and trim:

Then painted, sanded and stained for a fresh look that would highlight the beautiful floral
carvings:



For the upholstery I used a drop cloth, stapled on and made a slipcover for the seat. With little
kids I wanted to be able to wash the seat cover and a slipcover is the perfect solution, simply
untie to wash.



The pleated white trim gives the slipcover a finished look with a really feminine touch. And the
white is in stark contrast to the beige of the slipcover which really makes it pop.



A view of the back and the trim:


You can see the entire makeover process step by step here.


It takes a little vision and desire to make it happen but you can have beautiful furniture for less.


I take great pride in my projects and try to capture the joy of working with my hands with
each and every post.  Thank you to Cassity for featuring my project, it was a pleasure to
contribute.

8 comments:

Unknown April 18, 2011 at 7:20 AM  

The chair looks amazing! I went to the full description too. I have a question. What type of glue do you use when attaching the trim? I would be interested. Thanks!

Unknown April 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM  

The makeover is so beautiful and smart too. Love that you made the bottom a removable slip cover and the white trim was genius! Your distressed paint job is just perfect. Love this one.

Hugs...Tracy :)

lisaroy April 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM  

wow this looks amazing! I love the slipcover idea for the seat - brilliant! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP