We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Recycling Glass Insulators Into Pendant Light

16 March 2011

Recycling Glass Insulators Into Pendant Light 



Oh how I wish I had all these fabulous colors!!
  
Ever wonder what you could do with those old glass insulators??
How about a pendant light!?



I am really into re-purposing  things right now....and I had a box full of glass insulators just calling my name.


Three of these beauties will soon be hanging above my eat at bar! 



  I will update with the after picture as soon as I
hang them this weekend.

I just couldn't wait to share how to make them.....
I am entering this project over at the DIY PROJECT PARTY
DIY Club

First, I looked up on the internet how to drill glass 
and found this helpful info below

You'll use these tips and techniques to drill glass, sea glass, wine bottles, glass block, tile, stone, granite and marble.
  1. Use diamond bits to drill your glass, not carbide bits.
  2. Use diamond hole saws to drill holes 1/4" and larger or to drill holes in thick glass like glass block or wine bottles.
  3. Use plenty of lubrication/coolant to keep your drill tip cool and the hole clean.
  4. Use less pressure! Let your drill bit drill at it's own pace.
  5. Start diamond hole saws at 600-900 RPM
  6. Start diamond drill bits at 2500-5000 RPM

    I used a 1/2" diamond bit I got at the home improvement store for $7.
     Now let me try and expand the difference between a bit and a hole saw....Cause this is where I got very confused and maybe you are too...
    They both are bits to use in a drill....
    The hole saw cuts a ring to make a hole and a bit drills a hole and works outward to 
    make a bigger hole.
     See?
    The bit I bought is considered a hole saw....
    Make sense???
     Then I got to know the hubby's drill press a little better... I used the larger one for this project.
    I've always been shy around power tools but this one is so easy to use and I've been using it for lots of other crafts too.
     See how you can set the speed for working with glass....the turtle for slow and rabbit for fast is how you change the setting on the R.P.M.
    Put in the diamond bit.
    Make sure you wear your safety glasses
    and don't apply too much pressure....let the drill do the work.
    We bought 2 socket kits($2 each) not sure which one to use...
    ended up using the smaller one without wires.
    There are a lot of different type pendant kits you can buy...like the one I bought to make a
    But I found this on sale for $40 with a $20 rebate at Mernard's
    My plan was to replace the globes with my glass insulators
     Here are the ends of the pendant light...
    One still attached and one taken apart
    You will need to use pliers to pull off the socket, wire strippers to remove the wires and then unscrew the other two pieces. 
    (I'm sure had I found a pendant kit with a smaller socket I could have skipped this step and simply changed out the globe with the glass insulator.But a lighting kit with a small socket could not be found in my small town.)
    So you will have these two pieces left....
    Thread the wires through the hole you cut
    and attach the socket
    There are instructions on the back of the 
    socket packaging.
    I used an LED energy efficient long life bulb
    There is also tons of helpful video's on the internet about how to wire a socket.
     Ready to install.....
     This pendant kit comes with assembly and installation instructions.
    Remember you can also turn a CAN light fixture into a pendant light with a $10 converter kit.
    Here's another single mini pendant kit you can purchase. I have seen these priced $10-$20 in White, Nickel and Black finishes.

    Don't have a place to hang a pendant???
    Then you could pick up on one of these 
    clip on socket cord sets for around $5 at your home improvement store and make a lamp!
    Check out what these lights are going for

     So for around $35 
    (light kit, diamond bit, sockets, LED lights)
    I made 3 charming pendant lights to hang in my kitchen

11 comments:

banclothing March 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

So beautiful. I am really jealous because I have never seen these glass insulators before. If I ever come across any I will definitly make a pendant or two.

Viking Translations March 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM  

Fantastic idea! Love the colors - bet they give off a very nice sheen when lit. Great step-by-step instructions too.

Michele March 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

These are great! I have a few of those in my attic and that would be such a cool way to reuse them.

Unknown March 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

I love this-- I have always looked at those glass insulators and loved them but was never quite sure what to do with them- thanks so much for the awesome idea!

The Texas Woman March 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM  

Love those lights. Am building a new house and have just the place for them. Thank you for the idea and thanks to my friend for pointing your blog out to me!

Unknown April 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM  

I love this tutorial! Awesome! I featured you and this project on my blog! I hope you get a chance to check it out sometime. www.renounednest.com
Cindy

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP