We’ve Moved!


If you aren’t redirected here is the link:





Speedy Delivery

16 February 2011

Hey Ya'll

I have a little bit of nap time going on- my husband and two girls are napping.  This works for me, cuz I can't nap on demand, so I asked my husband to take his turn so that I can take mine when I actually feel ready to nap.

I thought I would write down the whole birth story and give you some pictures, sound good?  Good!

So you have some perspective I should explain that with my first's birth story I was in "labor" for about about 16 hours- quick summary- I woke up at 5:00 AM to contractions 1 minute long, 5 minutes apart and counted that through the hour...we spent a few more hours at home.  Went to the hospital, was put in maternal observation for a few hours.  Submitted to labor and delivery around 11:30am had Etta @ 8:55 ish pm.

Get ready for a long post, but hopefully interesting.

Let me first explain that with Lydia's last checkup at my midwife's office, I wasn't dilated at all.  Which I felt meant, that I probably wouldn't be going early this time like I had with Etta.  I wasn't to upset about it, in fact I had totally accepted it (also so I wouldn't be disappointed at the wait).

Besides, we were moving on projects and nesting hard core around my house, and I feel SO happy about what we were able to accomplish.  And I was still sorta in that mode, since I figured I had time we could just keep going.  I don't know about you but hardly anything gets done after they get home for a while (for me anyway).

Lets start with Saturday Feb 12th we were just working on the house, installing the baseboards and randoms.  I also was really in the mood to eat out, and Olive Garden salad sounded really good- sounds good right now too!   We went for lunch.  While there, I had 3 or 4 contractions over the hour or so.  This got me on the move to get home and wrap up loose ends, make sure the house was totally child safe so our babysitters would have an easy time with Etta.  I was getting all excited and then they just stopped.  I have never had Braxton Hicks with either of my pregnancies, so I just passed them off for Braxton hicks, was bummed a little and went on with the day.

That night at 2:00am Sunday morning I woke up to a big contraction that lasted a minute or two long.  I tried going back to sleep but within about 15 minutes later I had another.  From that point I didn't sleep I just watched the clock waiting for the "Golden- 1 min long, every 5 min for an hour contraction rule".

At 5:00  they were getting closer, but still sporadic in time between- and they really hurt.  It woke Justin up with my breathing and so I asked him sorta half heartedly, "I guess you better get up and set out breakfast for Etta and do a few other random things...  but don't call the babysitter yet, cuz I am not sure I am even in labor yet"

So, he did those honey do-s, meanwhile I laid in bed watching for the timing to get right, afraid to call the babysitter in the middle of the night thinking I wasn't really in labor.  But now the contractions really hurt and were about every 5 -7 -4 -2 random minutes apart but closer together.  So, I got up and told him to call, while I got dressed- hoping I wasn't one of those poor girls that gets sent home cuz they aren't really in labor.

Justin called and guess what, she didn't answer, and that is when I began to panic!!  I think it was the moment I realized I was REALLY in labor.  My other girlfriend who was in line to watch was out of town til that afternoon.  Instead, I had Justin call another sweet lady from church who I had casually mentioned to last Sunday that I might call if we were in a jam.   And so he called Theresa. I could call her Mother Theresa and I wouldn't be far off, she is just so sweet.

Justin talked to her husband at first, who was kind-of confused by the hour and being woken up and I had to laugh (after when all was well and good) cuz his reply was that "She(Theresa) couldn't substitute in church that day..."  I teach some teenagers in Sunday school.  Luckily she asked who was on the phone and upon hearing it was us, took the phone and said she could be right over.  Within the half hour she was there.

At this point I was sitting in the van, crying and SCREAMING in pain.   We took off, and I was a really starting to worry cuz I knew I was at least as bad as I was when I got my epidural the first time, and at the point I was dilated to like a five or six.  So, I was thinking "Well I am at least that far along, so we have GOT to get in there so I can get my epidural before I get any further".

Well, we got to the hospital, Justin dropped me off at the emergency entrance and the guard wheeled me in.  A nurse came down within a few minutes and started asking me how far along I was and began whelling me to the elevator.  I answered and tried not to scream through the pain- I hate to bother people, or sound like a wimp or anything like that.  (I know I sound like an idiot saying that- but these are the things going through my head as a healthy adult who shouldn't be complaining... anyway).

We get in the elevator and she takes me up to Labor and Delivery.  I am so relived, I don't want to waste time in "Maternal Observation".  Well she opens the door, walks in, then, turns around and starts back toward Maternal Observation.

I really wanted to SCREAM - NO YOU IDIOT.... but I just sat there with terror in my heart  that I wasn't going to get my beloved epidural... but as she came up to the maternal observation door, she mumbled, to an unseen, by me, co-worker "She is driving me nuts".. turned back around and returned me to Labor and Delivery.  I would have been even happier if I wasn't screaming through my contractions at the moment...

They get me in the room and the flutter began... about 10 nurses, two getting in the I.V., couching me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth..., asking me how far along I was,  on and on.  Justin arrived soon after, so he could help field a few questions thank heaven cuz I really wasn't in the mood to chat.

A nurse said she was going to check me... to my UTTER astonishment and horror, she said, she's complete.  Meaning I was completely dilated!  All I could do was ask if I could have an epidural and they were like no, sorry, you're going to have this baby right now.   To add to my disappointment,  it turned out my midwives had just switched being on call I missed it by like 5 minutes and the new one wasn't informed of anyone being there or even considering coming in, so she wasn't going to be there in time to deliver my baby.

I was still stuck on the no epidural thing and was asking repeatedly for some drugs- I am not usually a drug kinda girl, but seriously, I was hurting.

Right then I remembered that I had tested positive for a GBS or a type of strep test, that can effect the baby, and I told them.  And they realized they had to get n antibiotic started, and in my system before I could have this baby.

So they drugged me.  With stacol (no idea how to spell that or if that was the exact name) but all of a sudden I couldn't keep my eyes open, that was NOT what I had in mind for drugs, I should have asked for ibuprofen.  But I guess they decided as I stopped screaming and slipped into a hazy dream world of semi-consciousness - still very aware of the pain of the contractions but about nothing in between- that they could allow the time for the anti-boitics to really get into my system.  The biggest issue was they actually needed two doses of the antibiotic and couldn't administer the other for another 4 hours.

At this point they decided they could try giving me the epidural!


I felt like the heavens opened! (I didn't have the strep thing with Etta, I think I might have to thank heaven that I had it this time to help me get the epidural- but I will say that for sure when we know Lydia is perfectly safe from it)

I was so unstable from the drugs I could hardly move, but they said if I could sit cross legged and get the shot I could have i.  I tell you- there was nothing in the world that was going to stop me.

I forced myself through the haze and unsteadiness to sit up and curled over and waited, through 2 contractions, and then the administrator got cut really bad by some glass breaking and had to clean that up while I waited through another contraction, basically squatting and full dilated -I can tell you the pain of NOT pushing was worse than the contraction, I could hardly fight the urge to push that baby right out- that was the most pain I felt.  I didn't even feel the epidural being administered, I waited for it to hurt and she said she was already done.... I was in that much pain everywhere else.

They numbed me up good, my midwife was almost there and they thought I could have that baby in the next 20 or so minutes with my midwife!  Yea!  Because the time was going to be short they dosed me really high with epidural medication so that I would be numb in time.

Well, after 20 minutes I was totally asleep from the stacol junk and I couldn't even feel my lower half AT ALL, I had no feeling whatsoever that I was having contractions.  So, they let me sleep and try to make it to 10:30 when they could give me the second dose of anti-biotics.

For the next 2 and half hours I just flowed in and out of consciousness listening to the heartbeat monitor from the baby.  At 10:15, I realized that I couldn't hear the baby's heart beat.  It sounded like just mine really slow (comparatively) and steady, I tried sorta pushing the monitor in and around a bit but couldn't find it, and in about 20 seconds the nurse and midwife were running in the room saying I was going to have the baby right then.

What happened was Lydia's heart rate had dropped as she moved lower.   Lindsay, my wonderful midwife broke my water at this point and actually kind of reached in and tickled Lydia's head.   Lydia responded beautifully- her heart beat shot right back up and stayed up there where it was supposed to be, thank goodness.  They were able to just get the next anti-biotic set up and started too.

And, we started pushing, I was SO numb from my epidural that I still couldn't feel when I was having a contraction AT ALL.  I also had to sort of imagine what muscles I was using to push her out.  But the midwife helped me through it and in a half an hour we delivered a sunny side up (posterior positioned) baby.  The midwife said this is probably why we had to push as long.. But she finally came at 10:56 am.

8 lbs 8 oz
20 inches long and

The final result?  She is perfect.  

Look at that wrinkly hand!

I guess the labor wasn't technically so "speedy" after all, but the only reason for that extra 4-ish hours was a heavily drug induced window for the medicine to kick in, or she would have been born around 7:00 AM.  (so it would have been about 5 hours start to finish - yikes)

We moved over to my room and Justin went home around 2:00 to be with Etta.  He brought her back at about 6:30.  She ran to me to hug me (the midwife said it would be best to have my arms free and not have her spot taken up by the baby- so we were sure to have the baby in her little bassinette. )

Etta then looked over and saw Lydia and started very enthusiastically yelling and pointing at the  "Baby"  "Baby..."  and had to jump off the bed immediately to go investigate for herself.

(the reason I don't like pictures of me in the hospital and you won't be seeing anymore!)

It was a hard night in the hospital for me.  Mostly because I have never been away from Etta, and when I called Justin after Etta was in bed, I heard her wake up, start crying and screaming "Momma" from her bed, (this never happens, she always cries for "Daddy" [the name she uses for both of us, she only really calls me mommy after prompting].   So I sat and cried in my bed that I couldn't answer her call) but Justin comforted her and they got to pick me up the next afternoon.

Here is here little going away outfit, minus the tiny fake uggs I bought her, that are adorable, but since it has been 75 degrees outside, they were hardly needed!

I got home Monday at around 3:00 pm and have been so happy to be home.  

Welcome to the family Lydia!  
We are so excited to see you grow!


Angel February 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM  

Congratulations!!! She is just beautiful and look at all that hair. What a crazy story. A job well done. ((HUGS))

Danielle Bartran February 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

Congratulations! You have a beautiful family. Enjoy every second together with your tiny little bean, I'm sure it'll go by quickly....

laxsupermom February 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM  

Congratulations! She's beautiful! I was in labor for 27 hrs with 4 hrs of pushing with my first. The last 6 hrs of it I was screaming, "Give me some real drugs, now, or I'll kill you." He was a week late and 8lbs 5oz and all head, he seriously didn't grow into his head until he was 6 or 7. With my second one my ob/gyn suggested we schedule birth a week early. She said, "this baby's ready to go and only gaining weight, there's no reason to put you through that craziness again, how's Wednesday?" Wednesday morning I was induced and 4 1/2 hrs later with only 2 pushes, I gave birth to my 7lb 8oz perfect second son.

Yours will be one of those stories that gets retold over and over because of the excitement. I'm glad everything worked out and you got your epidural. Thanks for sharing & welcome to the world, Little Lydia!"

SheilaG February 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

Congratulations- what a sweet little baby girl! So sorry you had to go through all that craziness that came before- yikes! But glad everything turned out so well.

alissa February 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

Oh Cassity - she is beautiful! Love her name and all that dark hair too!

Sherri February 16, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

COngratulations-what a sweetheart she is! Good luck with your new little bundle!

Champe@MyDesignGuide.com February 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

wow 8 1/2 lbs....congrats...great story. i read the whole thing and I'm not really a 'baby' person and don't even get me started when talking about medical stuff..

Lisa February 16, 2011 at 8:08 AM  

Congrats congrats congrats! So happy for you on that perfect sweet little baby girl's arrival!

Judy February 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

Congratulations. I was riveted to your story. So exciting. Enjoy every moment.

IAMSNOWFLAKE February 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

Congratulations! Welcome home Lydia! A big hug and thank you to Theresa, it's always nice to have people nearby you can count on at a minute's notice.

Kaci * Little Piles Everywhere February 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

I had a posterior baby drug free, b/c I am one of those crazy ladies. You are very lucky to have had your epidural, because of my three births her was awful when it came to pushing and I had to work three times as hard.
She's beautiful! Congrats and enjoy your babymoon!

One Mama February 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM  

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Mine were preemies so I guess I'm one of those who ran to the hospital many times, only to get sent home a few hours later. Your story is wonderful.

Heather February 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

Congratulations! She is absolutely precious and big sis is adorable too!

Ms. Bake-it February 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

Welcome to the world Lydia! Oh my word, she is absolutely exquisite! I love her going home outfit. Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations to you and your family!

~ Tracy

jbr February 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

Congratulations! I'm glad it all worked out well for you. She's beautiful.

Barbara February 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM  

That's not a baby, that's a toddler!! Wow, you sure do have healthy looking babies! Congratulations!!

Heather February 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM  

Congratulations!! She is beautiful. I'm so glad everything worked out for you and you were able to get the epidural. Thank goodness you remembered the strep test!! :)

Sommer February 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

Oh congrats, what a beautiful story. I love birth stories =) And now doesn't your older daughter seem like giant all of a sudden?! I remember feeling that way when I brought home our third child since my girls are only 18 mos apart. Suddenly what was my baby was now huge compared to the new baby lol.

Laree February 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

Birth stories make me happy!

*side note: I took a close up foot picture like that of my son the day he came home. My hubby thought I was completely nuts! But it's one of my favorite!

Allison @ House of Hepworths February 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

Congratulations! What a wild birth story! And OMG, she is beautiful. Totally reminds me of my little Kinsey when she was a newborn. Sigh. Now I'm baby hungry. Thanks a lot! :)

Congrats again!

Rachel February 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Oh, what a wonderful post! She is so beautiful! Congratulations to the whole family!

W Family February 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM  

That's so exciting and beautiful! I'm due any day now with my 3rd girl. I LOVE having only girls! What a beautiful thing it is to see my husband and "his girls" play together and snuggle.
Well wishes to you and your cute, growing family :)

Rachel Murphy February 16, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

She is beautiful! So very precious and congrats. Sorry about the long delivery but I think it is great that you are both well and home with your little Etta and your sweetie already. Beautiful Family :)

Joyce February 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

She is just gorgeous! Congratulations again!

I had strep with my last baby- but my results didnt come back till after she was born, luckily she wasnt affected by it either

Rebecca@This Present Life February 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

Thanks for sharing your story with us! I love to hear about other people's birth stories. I also had stadol with my 2 deliveries and I totally know what you mean about being in a fog. But at least I had enough time to come out of my fog before it was time to push. Your baby girl is beautiful and you look great! And it sounds like big sister is already in love with her "baby"! Congratulations!

Rhiannon February 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM  

i love crazy labor stories makes me feel a little more normal. i was in labor for 19 hrs they said you're having this baby now... and 4 hrs later i was stuck didnt give birth for another 9 hrs and tons of petocin! shes precious congrats... makes me have baby fever

gina3 February 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

Congratulations and she is certainly pink...and cute. It's a great story she'll enjoy hearing when she's older. Now that everything's great, I'll tell you it's Stadol and it's some kind of stuff. I had surgery my 4th month of pregnancy and they gave me that for pain. My blood pressure dropped after only part of the injection and then it wasn't pretty. Turns out, I'm allergic to it.

autumn February 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM  

i had big tears in my eyes as i read through your story...it sounded like quite a lot of craziness, but it turned out PERFECTLY. she is beautiful.
and i am so glad you got that epidural after all!
can you imagine, waiting FOUR more hours for the antibiotics to run their course?! yikes.

Sandy February 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM  

She is precious! I had seven beautiful daughters, only on the last one did I get the epidural. 8lb babies are my specialty, I love them. My #7 and 8 grandbabies will be here in June and July. Enjoy them, they grow up so fast.

Anna @ Take the Side Street February 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM  

Ohhh, she's beautiful! And way to go mama -- my second son was posterior and I had decided to go without drugs (didn't KNOW he was posterior at the time) but the pain was so horrible I was hyperventilating and going numb in my fingers ;) I guess the labor with posterior babies can be pretty heinous... so I can definitely relate, and I think you're a superstar. And she was DEFINITELY worth it! Gooorgeous little girl :)

The Polka Dot Closet February 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM  

Congratulations! I can't believe you had that big a baby with posterior presentation! I can't believe how much you remember having had Stadol! It usually makes you forget everything! That was a great story and had me on the edge of my seat! Now don't respond to this !!! You have enough to do and we'll talk to you later.


Sawdust and Paperscraps February 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

Congrats on a beautiful daughter! Wow, what a birth story! Good thing you remembered to tell them about the strep thing in all your pain. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would have completely slipped my mind! Enjoy your beautiful family!

Kelsey February 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

Congrats on your beautiful baby!!! And she looks so much bigger than she is! Glad you finally got your epidural after all that...my last was sunny side up and even with the epidural it was one of the worst pains ever.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP