We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Renovated Guest Bedroom: No More Nasty Carpet

16 February 2011

Renovated Guest Bedroom: 
No More Nasty Carpet 
contributed by View Along the Way
Well, some might call it a guest room. My mother-in-law calls it her Georgia bedroom, and I love that.

You might remember this room from our first "before" shots. What we knew at the time was that there were mysterious gross things stuck to the wall (which were a lot harder to remove than we expected!).

What we didn't know when I first posted this photo was the depths of disgusting hiding under the carpet. You can see the stained carpet in this photo, and you can assume the worst from the color and nature of the stain. And you'd probably be right.


What we soon learned when we pulled up the carpet was that the nasty poo goo had soaked straight through the carpet, straight into the floor boards and made them mildewy and, well, steeped in poop. Nice.

I can't decide if the previous owners had locked their animals here and refused to clean the mess, or just mistaken this room for another bathroom? Because it's not. It's definitely not a bathroom.

We ripped out and replaced the nasty floorboards, ripped up and replaced the carpet, scraped the popcorn off the ceiling, added crown molding and a new light fixture, repainted everything, and installed new windows and window treatments.

Wait, don't just skip through that paragraph. This was a lotta work! (And this was one of our EASIEST rooms to renovate!)

This is where it stands today:


Is it finished? Well, no. I still want to find a fancy little dresser for the wall opposite the bed, and a few more things, but:
  1. It is habitable.
  2. There is no visible or hidden human or animal excrement.
...and therefore it has met my standards for a guest room.

9 comments:

Jaymie February 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM  

Can I come and stay in your guest bedroom?! It looks so cozy!! Love it. :o)

WaterWorks Car Wash February 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

That IS a lot of work and it looks great! You should be SO proud of yourselves!

banclothing February 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM  

'It's definitely not a bathroom' HAHA, I laughed outloud. Seriously amazing transformation. So much so that I must perv your blog.

Kathiey's World February 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM  

It looks great! I have been planning to paint our guest room. I think tomorrow, because of your motivation, I will narrow my choices to 3 or 4 paint colors for the room.
Thanks!
Kathiey

Anonymous,  February 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

Thanks for making me feel much better about the rooms I'm presently working on. No one left gifts in or under my carpeting. (Although, I must say, it would have been a great excuse to get rid of the ancient wall-to-wall in the bedroom-about-to-become-new-sewing room;-}

Handy Man, Crafty Woman February 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

that looks SO great!! our house had animal "stains" in the carpet in several rooms. ewwwwww!

it was SO nasty! Why do people let their pets do that? I understand pets sometimes have accidents, but in these amounts, that is more than just an accident! GROSS!

I had to grin when you said this was your "easiest" renovation. This is our 3rd house, and when we have an "easy" one (even after a ton of steps like you did), we sigh in relief!
:-) Great job!

Sonia February 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM  

beautiful bedroom! I know what you mean about the carpet. Any spill on carpet, goes down to the floors, no matter how quickly you think you clean it up. We got rid of our carpet a couple of years ago, and my house feels soo much cleaner! Your guest room is how I want my bedroom. I adore black furniture!

B March 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

Gross! Omigosh I can't even imagine how that stain GOT there...gross. The transformation looks great! Personally, I'd love more info on how you scraped the popcorn off of the ceiling. I want to do that in our basement, but am afraid it might be ugly and uneven underneath or something.

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP