We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Stenciled Faux Wallpaper

23 February 2011

DIY Stenciled Faux Wallpaper 

I love the look of wallpaper - but it can be sooo expensive!  When J and I bought our condo {almost exactly 3 years ago}, the first thing we did was wallpaper my office and our master bedroom.  I LOVE how it turned out and certainly don't regret it.  But since then, I have come across some GREAT alternatives!

{I apologize for all the crummy iPhone pics!}



Anyway - here is my DIY painted wallpaper that I did in my entryway:
1.  I ran across this tutorial awhile back from Emily over at Jones Design Company, and I knew I wanted to try it!  I usedthis template that I liked and printed it out, traced it onto cardboard, and then cut that out.

2.  I traced the cardboard image with pencil in a repeating pattern on each wall of my entry.

3.  Then I just took a small paint brush {the width of how thick I wanted my lines to be} and started painting over all my pencil lines.



I wanted one shade lighter than my wall color {which is Creek Bend by Behr in eggshell} & in a high gloss finish.  But Creek Bend is the lightest shade on the color swatch, so I went online to see what one shade lighter is - which is porpoise {the color on the left}.  It was waaay too light for me, so I went back to Home Depot and had them darken it by 50%.  I took that home and it was STILL too light!  Back to the Depot I went, having them darken it again by 25%.  And waa-laa!  This is what I was looking for! (right)



The finished product:

I love how it turned out!  It does require some patience and time - but I think it is worth it.  And I especially love the gloss; it creates more interest and provides a great sheen in the evening when we turn on the lamps!

Now I'm hooked and looking forward to my next project!  :)

15 comments:

Kristyn @ Good Gravy Crafts February 23, 2011 at 7:20 AM  

Now my plans for my hallway are getting bigger just by seeing this! Wow, this is great. How long did it take you to do?

Love it.

xx-Kristyn

Unknown February 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM  

So beautiful-love this classic design and the use of the high gloss paint-truly inspiring!

Mallory February 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM  

Looks great! I just started that stencil in my bathroom! http://mallicious.blogspot.com/2011/02/master-bathroom-it-begins.html

Anonymous,  February 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

I LOVE THIS!

After helping an aunt UNwall paper basically her whole house, I have not been a fan of wall papper but I do love the look of the patterns. This is a perfect way to add the interest yet not destroy the wall!

Really love the look & the colors of that room. Nice work.

Stephanie February 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

You did a wonderful job on that! Love how you came up with your own stencil. It looks beautiful.

Roeshel February 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

Beautiful! I love paint/stencil as an alternative to wallpaper (too much scraping history). Your design is gorgeous!

(Hi Cassity!)

Have a wonderful day, ladies!

Roeshel

Anonymous,  February 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

OMG!!! I love this...I think I'll try this same for my home office. Thanks for the tips.

Lisa February 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

Love, love, love this! I did a similar thing in my other home but I used clear glaze as I wanted a subtle tone on tone look to my wall. Now, I want to do it again in my new home! Thanks for the inspiration!

K&B by the Sea February 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

Wow, the walls look awesome! Love the look of the glossy pattern against the wall colour. I'm sure it took a lot of time & patience, but definitely worth the effort :-)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP