We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

How to Build a Newel Post

17 January 2011

How to Build a Newel Post
Sandra @ Sawdust and Paper Scraps!!







Trying to reach my goal of finishing EVERY project on my list so I can sell this house and move...

I've been singing "99 Projects to do on this House" all week.  
I'm seriously down to 13!!!
Here's my latest "strike through" on my list!
I posted this on Facebook yesterday but promised to show some additional "in the process" pictures for anyone wanting to recreate something like it.  
(Psst.  Want to see "sneak peeks"?  "Like" my FB page-- over there on my sidebar.)

 
  1. I nailed and screwed two 2x4's onto the end of the wall
  2. Covered that on 3 sides with MDF
  3. Primed and painted that.  
  4. Added some more MDF on the bottom to "stack" the base.
  5. Added some 1x2 pine (just cut and nailed in place...no fancy joinery or anything!)
  6. Added some moulding
  7. Primed and painted that!

8.  Topped it off with a piece of MDF (making sure the top would extend over the edge far enough to cover the crown moulding I was going to attach.)
9.  Added a small Crown moulding.
10.  Added some more MDF, moulding and a finial on the top (because I thought it needed something more.)    
11.  Added another, even smaller finial to the first finial because it was flat on top and I thought it looked weird being flat!
12.  Primed what needed to be primed and painted everything again!
That's how I built my Newel post!

13 more projects to do...!!!

11 comments:

Caroline (Piorra Maison) January 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM  

Wow, I am the new blogger on the block and I am in awe... at all the DIY women out there. Inspiring and amazing.

Prairie Scraps January 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM  

Wow this looks wonderful! I'm trying to think of where I have a stairways to put this! Maybe the basement....lol

1 Funky Woman January 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM  

I'm a new follower of your blog! I can't believe it took me this long to find you! Your house is gorgeous and all your ideas, wow! I am going to poor myself another cup of coffee an start reading!

Love Sandra! Talk about amazing talent!

Megan

http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

banclothing January 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM  

SOOO nice. A transformation of a very common design dilema. Very good use of material for the overall effect.

IAMSNOWFLAKE January 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

It looks great! You make it look so easy to achieve. Now I'm longing for a staircase to give it a try. Keep on! not so much on the (this) list to go. IAMSNWFLK - http://dondehogar.blogspot.com/

Taija January 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM  

That is one of the coolest things I've seen!! Wishing I had a stair case...

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP