We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

A $250 Kitchen Makeover

29 December 2010

A $250 Kitchen Makeover
contributed by Sense and Simplicity

It took almost two and a half weeks of painting and some moaning on my part about how endless it all seemed, but the kitchen is finally finished (well almost, more about that later). I spent all morning cleaning, because if I'm going to show the world our kitchen it needed a little spit and polish, especially after all the disruption during the painting. I'm pleased as punch - and glad it is finished - to introduce you to our made-over kitchen:


And just so you can compare - here is the before:




 Before

After

Before

You can read about the inspiration behind painting the lower cabinets gray and uppers white  here.   After much deliberation we chose burnished gold handles for the new cabinets.


I also wanted to introduce some gold accents in other places around the kitchen.  I figured yellow would work as well to visually tie things together.  Of course, this involved a trip to Anthropologie where I bought some lovely (and overpriced) soap and lotion dispensers.


I also bought some bowls in colours that would coordinate with the new kitchen.


You can also see the little gold-coloured pear that I bought at the thrift shop for $2 (it was 50% off day so I got myself a real deal, because otherwise I would have had to pay $4).  I dug through the china cabinet and found some things that would coordinate with the gold to put on the shelves.  The antique salt cellar is from my father's parents and has a cranberry glass liner.  I know it isn't polished, but to me that means it mixes better with the gold tones, although there are some (and they shall remain nameless) who would disagree. The plate standing up against the back is from the Limoge set that belonged to my grandparents on my mother's side.


There is also yellow in the vinegar and oil set that was given to us by the french exchange student who lived with us a few years ago.


I personally never tire of looking at some before-and-after photos, so here are a few more.

After

Before

After

Before

And finally a view of the kitchen from the dining room.


I put out my favourite thrift store vintage table cloth to welcome you.


As for the bottom line, here is the $250 breakdown:
$100 paint
$100 handles
$50 new baskets
 Not bad for $250 (and a lot of elbow grease. I'm just saying...). 

We still  need to do a few things in the kitchen.  Here is the 3-year plan - in a nutshell (well a picture anyway).


And now we get to enjoy the kitchen - the best part!

3 comments:

Annie Louise December 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Wow, looks wonderful!! What kind of paint did you use to paint the cabinets, anything special? Good job and congratulations :)
Jeanette

Ricki Treleaven January 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM  

Grace did an amazing job in her kitchen. I think the open shelving is neat with all of her cute things in them!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP