We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Quick and Painless Backsplash Makeover

08 November 2010

Quick and Painless Backsplash Makeover 
With Contact Paper
contributed by Kathleen Katydid And Kid


Even though I'm knee-deep in the painting-of-the-living-room project, I thought I'd take a break and update the backsplash in the kitchen. I hate how ugly it is, and because I don't have the time, energy, or skills to do tile job on the backsplash, I decided to just cover it up.
My ideal situation would be bluish-green glass tiles, but that probably won't happen until we fully makeover our kitchen.

Today, I picked up some contact paper for 5 bucks at Target and went to town, cutting and pressing it on top of the tiles. For the project, I also needed scissors, a tape measure and X-Acto knife.It took all of about 10 minutes to do, between rolling out the paper, measuring, and pressing it into place. contact paper is really nice in that it has a grid on the back that makes for easy cutting and measuring.

I did take off the electrical cover as well as the soap dish that is drilled into the wall. It just made things so much easier than trying to cut around them neatly.
I trimmed a bit around the edges with the knife, as well as around the electrical socket, though I made sure not to cut off too much so it was sealed nicely under the cover.
Now honestly, it doesn't look amazing up close, since you can slightly see the grout lines of the tiles, but who cares? I like that this was so cheap to do, and I still have yards and yards of it left for other projects, like lining the shelves. When it gets too grimy, I'll just replace it either with the same pattern or something else. I've also considered cutting them to fit each tile, so the grout still shows, but that is much beyond my attention span at the moment.

It also goes so much better with the color of the living room than that turquoise.
Next up: dealing with this mess (Goodwill stuff and things to be put away).
Keepin' it real, y'all, keepin' it real.

12 comments:

Belinda November 8, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

What a great idea!! And you did a wonderful job by the looks of it. Smart girl!

Kathy November 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

Wow amazing...I don't think i have ever seen an electrical outlet behind a sink..that's funny!

Unknown November 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

I love the print and I think it looks great! Very cool - and I love the price :)

banclothing November 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

I really love your vintage counter/sink that spans the entire length of the cabinets. It really is fantastic and I hope you keep it. It would have sold the house for me.

Kathleen W. November 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

Thanks so much for featuring my redo. I hope the possibilities of contact paper inspire everyone to do fun stuff around the house. You can't go wrong with how cheap it is! I actually ended up covering ugly yellow tiles in my bathroom with it too!

Kathy November 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Oh my word, this is just the neatest thing. Inexpensive and allows you to try out different colors and such, before and if you choose to really redo it. I love it.

Anonymous,  November 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

This is such a cool idea. My 1956 kitchen is getting a makeover this weekend! I bought some of this same Con-tact paper after initially reading your post, and can't wait to cover up the laminate backsplash currently up in our kitchen. Should be a HUGE change that the kitchen is dying for. Thanks again for the sweet idea!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP