We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

The Comforts of a Kitchen

30 November 2010

The Comforts of a Kitchen
party highlight by Three Pixie Lane

"My kitchen is a mystical place... It is a place where the surfaces seem to have significance, where the sounds and odors carry meaning that transfers from the past and bridges to the future."    
 ~Pearl Bailey

I found the pine Scandinavian bench at an Antique Market years ago.
A pewter bowl full of kale makes a simple, yet stunning centerpiece.
The bee pillow is from the Source Collection.  I have a couple of honey bee apiaries (and several bee stings!)


My husband gave me these pewter canisters for Christmas one year (from Pierre Deux.)
This old English beer crate holds all of my utensils neatly next to the stove.
The previous owner built this home, so that a view of the lake could be seen from every room.
I have so much rosemary and diffent kinds of basil left in my sparse garden. 
I found the 'Pharmacie Apotheke' soap dispenser at Tuesday Morning.
The larger basket holds two loaves of bread neatly out of site.
Two glass containers hold granola and mixed nuts.  My baby cup and my daughter's baby cup are used as scoops.
Granola by Yvonne at Stone Gable is a staple in our home!  We love it!
Some little white pumpkins hint to the fall season.
When I moved here ten years ago, I remarked to my husband that we would need some pretty 'every day' plates with these glass front cabinets!  This pattern is Villeroy and Boch French Garden Fleurence.
Oh, this little scale pops up everywhere  and displays another little pumpkin on a monogrammed silver tray.  The pewter salt and pepper shakers were a wedding gift many years ago.  The old silver fork is from a set of my Granny's 'every day' pattern.  Perched in an old milk bottle, it holds recipes from her and my mom.  I love to see the familiarity of their handwriting!
I am trying not to point out all the 'dated' things in my kitchen; however, the best thing about this space is that the pine floors and ceiling were taken from an old hunting lodge in Blackstock, SC.  They add such warmth and history!
A little tray table holds some cook books and other treasures.  My friend Katie wrote the verse on the chalkboard.  She is very talented!
This was my mom's recipe box...recipes of the past to be passed down to my children and grand-children...
A little black chair sits in a corner in my kitchen...also painted by my friend Katie!  Just a little 'time out' never hurt anyone!
A rural sketch of a cow and a pewter plate flank either side of the long wall of windows.  The pine farm table is from Victoria & Thomas Trading Co. in Charleston, SC.  They specialize in refurbishing old farm doors and old furniture from England.
The bench holds paper, coloring books, notebooks, and workbooks, while the little black box is full of crayons.
A porch is just off the kitchen and provides a place to grill and enjoy some tranquility.
A bookshelf holds more treasures and several cookbooks.
These pictures are priceless to me.  A silver bee skep adds some bling.
The tray on top of the bookshelf was a gift from my friend Jennifer.  The vintage coffee grinder was my mom's.  Another bee skep sits next to a beautiful cookbook.  The copper pot holds more markers and sits atop more color books and paper for the children.
The green apples are so lovely in this old bowl that, I believe, used to be for grinding corn.  I found it in Charleston, SC.
The black and cream Wedgewood container was my mom's and is used to hold pens and pencils for taking notes.
I just love this plate that my friend Jen gave to me! 
Well, this is a very treasured site...pictures and drawings all over the frig!  There will be a day...sniff, sniff..., so I will enjoy it for now!  A monogrammed apron adds a southern touch!
I couldn't find small white pumpkins, so my friend Jen suggested that I paint some small orange ones!  Aren't they cute?!

Here is the before...
The walls in the kitchen were a bright, and I mean bright yellow.  The foyer, living room and dining room were a deep red and my husband's study just off the foyer was (and is) a bright green.  The colors individually are fine, but all together they looked like a crayon box of primary colors!  We just changed the paints a few years ago.   I chose the green, because we didn't want to replace the curtains or rug, just yet.  The living space is a soft beige with green accents, so the kitchen flows nicely to the living space and the new colors do not distract from the view!

I had to research the color of paint we chose!  It was tweaked a bit after seeing it in the different shades of light, but the color we bought was 'Woodland Hills Green' from Benjamin Moore.
The rug is from Stark. (10/26) 

Thanks for coming over to my kitchen!  

5 comments:

mommy Orkid Belle November 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

It is such a beautiful place! It has the same color as my kitchen with the green and white walls and white cabinets, but mine is not as beautiful as this. LOL! I love it! :)

Adin B

The Star Gal November 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

Love, love, love, love, love those toile draperies. If you ever tire of them...yell at me.

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} November 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

I love your collection of interesting accessories, and the way you've turned them all into something useful for the kitchen. Beautiful transformation :)

kimisphere November 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

absolutely beautiful! every detail. i too love how u weaved family heirlooms into the designs. it is amazing what the color change did for this space. u should be very proud!

Restoration House November 30, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

Absolutely lovely. This is such a beautiful, homey kitchen. That harvest table and chairs are awesome and the toile? you can give it to me also when you tire of it. I love all the little personal touches like the baby cups etc. You have a lovely family kitchen there. Great job!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP