We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Beautiful Bright Family Room Before and After

05 October 2010

Adrianne from  Dream Book Design sent me in this jaw dropping family room before and after.  I love what they've done and it feels so comfortable and perfect!  Don't you think?  Check it out:


I don't know about your house, but in ours we spend the most time in the family room. Cuddling on the couch, watching a movie, playing with the pups, reading a good book, etc. We really wanted the room to be stylish but comfortable. Now don't get me wrong, it is still changing on a monthly basis usually {new chair here, new painting there} but for now, we love it.

The room started off so boring...

I mean, who doesn't just love those plastic curtains...

Oh, and the beautiful track lighting..

We knew instantly that the tile had to go. 

The lighting had to go.

The curtains had to go.

First things first: get the floors in.



If you've never had to live in a house while floors are being put in, you are a lucky person! To say the least, it was a mess! Our amazing friend Steve put the floors in one room at a time, which meant moving everything we owned from room to room until he was finished. There was a solid week where we slept in our family room...fun right? Waking up to Steve walking in the door whistling...ugghh!The process was fun ranging from having to level out a couple of rooms with cement because the previous owner didn't do the addition properly, to being given a bad batch of glue, and having to remove it all after realizing that it was never going to harden. Poor Steve! BUT it was all so worth it. The floors are Virginia Mills hand scraped distressed oak. They are beautiful, and we love them:) 

Next up was painting..everything! We painted the ceiling, crown molding and base boards, {this was the only room in the house with that already installed- thank you Jesus!} and the finally smoothed out walls. We did however add trim to the opening into the dining room and around the windows, which adds a nice touch. I have decided after painting that room, that I loathe painting ceilings. We used Behr Premium Plus Ultra- the only paint we trust now. It truly saves you from doing three extra coats, and your sanity from spending all day, every day painting! 



We then installed the wainscoting, which was the same process ashere. It makes the room so beautiful, if you are ever considering it, JUST DO IT. 

Finally the fun part, decorating! We changed out the gross track lighting to a fun chandelier we got at Lowes {who would have thought Lowes would have a great chandelier?!} We also changed the curtains to some fun Damask ones we got at Target. One of the best additions to the room is the electric fireplace.

The fireplace is a Dimplex Kenton, which started out looking like this.


When J told me he wanted to put it in I thought it would look totally cheesy. He convinced me by adding a base to it to make it look like it came with the house, and then made sure to match the trim and everything perfectly. Best thing about it: it actually puts out warmth, for the whole two months we need it here in Phoenix;)

Overall, here it is...






What do you think? 
I Love the colors, and the wainscoting!
What do you like most?

18 comments:

the old white house October 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

The room looks great! I gotta say I love the fireplace the most because I found one exactly like it for $20. at a garage sale this summer and have been thinking it needed a makeover... it will be painted very soon! Thanks for the inspiration! Theresa xoxo

Lisa @ Shine Your Light October 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

What a difference! I like that sectional - very updated yet comfy looking. Amazing job with the details - the wainscotting & floor make a huge difference!

michelle October 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

What change! Gorgeous! I love the crown molding on the corners. The color of the floor is perfect! What a guy for helping remove all that tile. We did it in our kitchen and I don't ever, ever, ever want to do that again! :)

Simply LKJ October 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM  

Oh wow! The floors are gorgeous!! The whole room is fabulous, great job!!

Unknown October 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

Jaw dropping is an understatement! Wow. The wainscoting mixed with the dark floors is beautiful. And the fabric choices and colors are fantastic. What a wonderful transformation.

Jami October 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

I agree. I love the wainscoting! It just adds a little something special.

Patsy October 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Great job. I love how you mix styles and era's. Someone in my area had one of those old radio's advertised on Craigs and I so wanted it, but had no place to put it. It's great to have things that are interesting in a room and not just the same new stuff that everyone else has. That is very boring to me. I do the same thing with mixing antiques with modern and everything in between. I keep things sparse though so there is not a feeling of "thrift store." Everyone who comes to my house tells me how calming and inviting my house is, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Little Miss Martha October 6, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

I love this room! Can you come do my house?! Also, did you recover that chair by the radio yourself?! I picked up 2 chairs that have that same shape at Goodwill, but am scared to recover them. I don't want to ruin them!

Seriously, this room is GREAT! Love!

Unknown October 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

Thank you everyone so much for all the positive comments! We love you!

Theresa- Thats AMAZING that you found a fireplace for that cheap- nice work!

Abby- We actually found that amazing chair on Craigslist just the way it is! It seriously sat in a room where no-one in the family was allowed to enter {or so the guy that sold us it says} but it is in perfect condition. I do have two chairs sitting in my garage waiting for me to re-upholster them, so when i get around to it i'll for sure do a post on it. Good luck on yours!
<3,
Adri
www.dreambookdesign.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP