We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Reupholstered Arm Chair, Before and After

02 September 2010

This is a great look at the difference reupholstering a piece can make.  This particular chair has great clean lines, and is so fun all newly dressed.  Thanks to jay over at salt fro linking this up to our last party!

Finally!  I finished reupholstering my armchair!  The whole process only took about 12 hours.


BEFORE



AFTER







Cost Breakdown

Ugly orange chair: $25
Waverly fabric from Joann's: $21
Extra heavy-duty staples: $2

TOTAL: $48

I am so happy with how it turned out, considering it was the first thing I have ever reupholstered.  The arms were tricky because they required sewing slipcover-like pieces to staple onto the frame as well as piping along the seam!  (it was also my first go at piping...)  I cut my new fabric using a "pattern" made from the old deconstructed pieces.  Luckily the foam and batting were in perfect condition so I didn't need to replace either!

I kept the legs wood because my couch legs are dark stained wood as well, although I would really like to try pickling them.  Maybe when everything else on my to-do list is done.  What do you think?  Keep the wooden legs?

Doesn't it look wonderful now!!?

7 comments:

Katie September 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

You did an amazing job!!! I have a chair that I bought for $25 that is a dirty white. I want to reupholster it for my new craft room, but I've never reupholstered either. I think now after seeing this post I am going to give it a try!

G September 2, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

I'm not associated with either one of the following websites, but both of them have invaluable information regarding reupholstering. Go check them out!

www.diyupholsterysupply.com - Not only does he sell upholstery supplies for a fraction of what you'd pay at your local fabric stores, but he has video tutorials posted on his website. He takes the scary out of upholstery jobs!

www.charishumin.blogspot.com (Design Intervention) - girlfriend has a knack for reupholstering and has an eye for great fabrics. She also has tutorials for upholstering. VERY clear instructions and a definite must-read when planning for your first upholstery job.

I pored over the previous 2 websites for hours before tackling my first job. I turned the world's ugliest wingback setee into a truly awesome piece of furniture and have had people tell me that it's better than some professional upholstery they've had done.

Those are just my 2 cents worth of info and I pass this along to anybody looking to try their hand at it!

This chair featured? FABULOUS!

ChRiS September 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

wow fabulous job this is 1st time ever?????? my goodness girlie i think you found your talent!! love the material you picked just love it

Melissa @ Veranda Interiors September 2, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

OK, you are hired!! I have 8 dining room chairs and 4 occasional chairs I need done, when can you pick them up? ;)

Unknown September 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

I saw this fabric at Joann's on clearance, and now I wish I'd really picked it up. It would be perfect as outdoor pillows (even thought it's not outdoor fabric). But with all the chaos in the house right now, I can't focus on 'pretty' just yet. But this chair makes me want to get started NOW!

Jay September 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Thank you all very much for the kind comments! I am a college student (finance major... sounds boring, i know!) so I am always looking for the cheapest possible way to do things. If any of you decide to try it yourself and need any advice, please feel free to email me or post a message on my blog, I will be glad to help!

Being the first time I attempted something like this, I researched techniques until my eyes were about to fall out of my head, I didn't want to mess up!

Melissa - Whenever you want! Haha. Id love to make a business out of it, but so afraid of the potential of failure!

Sarah - It IS outdoor fabric! well, indoor/outdoor, which is why i chose it. i figured it would be pretty hard to get dirty.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP