We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Painting A Wooden Exterior Door Black

13 September 2010



I love a beautiful black front door, don't you (remember me painting mine?)?  And this party link is not only informative but beautiful!  Actually, I have to admit that I like both versions both the before and after, their door is just beautiful to begin with!  But look at what Christa from Modern Vintage Interiors just did:

This house was one of my inspirations from our summer trip:


Houdini himself couldn't get the Safe-T-Lock off, and I feel much safer knowing that. I sanded, primed, and painted with an interior/exterior paint. Twice. The first paint was SW All Surface Enamel. It went on rough, even with the paint sprayer, and I couldn't stand the smell. It is the stinkiest water-based paint ever.

I also don't like the smell of Behr Paint and Primer.
But I like lacquer thinner.
It's complicated.

I sanded it smooth again, and used SW Solo semi-gloss and it went on smooth. Phew. I didn't topcoat it with an exterior urethane because here in the desert, the heat will cause it to wrinkle within a year.


Here it is after spraying the final coat (Tricorn Black). It looked great, but we talked about it and decided to rub through the edges a bit. (I used a razor blade to be very exact and to get through the primer). 
If you do this after priming and painting something, some of the white primer will show through, and/or the wood may not be as dark as you want it, so remember this trick and just stain the edges with a brown marker or wood touch-up pen. If you use a wood stain, it will affect the sheen of the surrounding paint, and will not coat the white as well as a good old fashioned marker. Or, you could rub through the primer, then again after the paint is on.

Before:
 
After:
 

I realize it seems strange to paint a perfectly okay wood door. But this house is full of wood, and it needs some different finishes to break it all up. (I am aware of the over-use of black in this spot, which needs to be balanced.) Still need to make a frenchy pillow for the antique chair.

She did a great job don'tcha think?

2 comments:

Rob September 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Great how-to!

IMO, that awesome black door would really pop with a brass handle & lockset. And I'd be tempted to punch it up with a scuff-resistant kickplate at the bottom too.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP