We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Wall Mounted Wooden Hotel Key Rack

13 September 2010

Suzanne Meridian Road saw a really nice hotel key rack and decided to build one of her own.  See what she liked and how she built her own.

I really like this key rack
 from Mothology.

I decided I need one. Even though our present system of key organization was clearly working for us.
Yeah. 
So I thought I'd try to make one for less.
 I cut some tongue and groove planks that I had left over from thisproject and this project and glued them together. I just used an ordinary construction adhesive.

Then I needed to frame it. Since our miter saw is broken, I asked someone who kinda likes me to help.

He just used Gorilla super glue to attach the frame.
(Because I didn't want to fill in the holes that finishing nails would have left.)
We used this kind of frame because we already had it.
Now for the hard part.
The original rack is made from reclaimed wood. Mine is made from brand new pine. Somehow I needed to make it look older, and maybe a little weathered.
(Yeah, a key rack wouldn't normally be all that weathered. That thought occurred to me. But then I decided not to think that hard.)
So I started with some of this.
 I just used a cheap brush, because I wanted a little bit of a streaky look.
I really like the gel stain. It doesn't dry very fast, which was good. It gave me time to make sure I had a somewhat even coat.
Once that was dry, it was time to add something else.
I watered down some of the Slate Gray
and applied it. Then I added the brown (Mississippi Mud) to the watered down gray paint, and applied some more streaks. 
I kept going until it looked like this.
Then I added more gray to the watered down gray and brown paint mixture, and coated the whole thing. When it was just barely dry, I rubbed it down with a damp paper towel. That's the cool thing about craft paint~it will wash off if you don't let it dry too long.
So then it looked more like this.
I repeated the process a few times, alternating between a more brown coat, then a more gray coat, rubbing it down with a damp paper towel each time.
This is the final coat. It's streaky, but it doesn't scream "STREAKS!!!" at you.
Then it was time to put on the hooks. 
The hooks and label holders on the inspiration key rack look like they're all one piece. I couldn't find any like that. I found a few label holders online, but I really didn't want to pay $3 each for them since I needed 20 of them.
I found these
              at a scrapbook store, and these cup hooks

  at a hardware store.
I just needed them to look like they belonged together. So I sprayed them all with this. It's a dark bronze color.
Once they were dry, it was time to add them to my board.
I'm not the best when it comes to measurements, and I had to do a little adjusting.
That's why I made all my marks with chalk. It's easy to rub off if you make a mistake. I made my marks in the center of each label holder.
This thing is an odd width, and my ruler was too long to fit on this, so
 I decided that if I used a template, it would be easier to get everything all lined  up straight.
I just made one out of paper.
I put a dab of glue in the corners of the label holders and put them all in place.
Then I had to drill some pilot holes for the cup hooks. The planks I used aren't thick, and I didn't want the cup hooks to split the wood.
               I used one of the smallest drill bits we have

and put a small hole under each label holder, making sure I centered each hole. 
Then I screwed them in.
Once that was done, I needed to make sure the label holders were really secure.
I used these.
They're very small, so it helped to use some needle nose pliers to hold the pins while I hammered them in.

                           Here's the finished product. 

                             I hung it by the front door.

                  I'm really happy with how it turned out!

It's not exactly like the Mothology key rack, but I didn't pay anywhere near $62, either. 

I love DIY projects!  It's fun to see how we are able to recreate something that we see and make ourselves.  Great job on the key rack!



28 comments:

Star Talks September 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

wow, it looks just like the original! great job! i would love to make one of these!

Anji* September 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Great job! Looks really close to the inspiration! nice and functional too :)

Anonymous,  September 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

I love this key holder and really, really need one! I have keys all over the place and it takes me hours (or days) to find certain ones that we rarely use. I fell and hurt my foot today but as soon as possible I am going to attempt to make one and hang it in my laundry room! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Kate Riley September 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

That is really fantastic ! Great inspiration, great tutorial, great DIY!
xo
Kate

Brandy September 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

So Great! I think it looks like an old hotel key rack...Just Beautiful.

Terry @ La Bella Vie September 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

wow this is amazing! I'd love to do this as we are always misplacing keys! Thanks for the tutorial too it was very helpful,
Terry

Lynne September 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I love how it turned out. Great job!

The Sisters' Hood September 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

What a fab blog - so happy I arrived here (no idea where i came from!)
And love the key'board', in fact not only do we need a big one, but thinking a smaller version near the computers would be awesome for hanging the memory sticks on, they are always disappearing so thanx for the inspiration!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com September 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

This is great, it's even nicer then the original, because you made it. Go Girl!

big hugs
cindy@stitches

Keri September 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

Awesome project. I would like to make something like that, but mine wouldn't need that many hooks. We don't have many keys. Well, right now the only key I have is car keys. Maybe one day we'll have house keys.
GREAT JOB!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} September 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

That is a great project!!! Helps me realize too that lots of pictures along the way make for a more helpful tutorial too!

thanks!!
xoxo, cassie

imperfectskye September 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

There's only one thing I noticed that may make this project better: If you angled your pilot holes, the cup hooks wouldn't overlap the labels. (And it looks like the inspiration piece was made that way).

It looks great!

*~Kaisun~* September 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

oooohhh....I love the idea of a memory stick one as well!! and a key one....and one for all the little purses that my kids acquire....and one for...lol you get the idea! THANKS!! :)

Unknown September 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

I'm going to make one of these. Thanks for the idea. To get that naturally fading gray wood you can use baking soda with a couple drops of dish detergent and water, make a paste and paint it on the wood, let it dry and then wash it off, it will look weather worn.

Laurie October 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Love the key rack! I have seen the one on mothology too... you did such a great job. You must have alot of patience to put all the little number holder thingys on like that!!!!

daisylover October 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

Wondering what the dimensions are. I like how many hangers you have on yours, What length are the T&G boards you used?

DGr November 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

You've made a great job of this, but have you thought:
Your house is burgled, all your keys are on display for the burglar to use at his convenience, possibly steal your car as well.
Like I say you've made a great job of it.

Amanda November 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

I've got a new blog and this is my first feature! I'd love for you to stop by and grab a button! todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Jan May 31, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

I love the key rack, I like the way you can model it for your own size or colour.

Jan x

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP