We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Furniture Redo, Deco Style Dressing Table / Vanity Refinished

14 September 2010


Hey guys! Kristine here. In case you don't know me (don't worry - I'll forgive you :-) I write The Painted Hive blog and each month I share a fresh project of mine over here at Remodelaholic. I love a furniture makeover so today I thought I'd show you one of my most recent refurbs. Here's a little sneak peak:

And here's the before:
 I think it's probably fair to say this old deco dressing table wasn't gonna protest about getting a bit of a facelift. It came to me for the bargain price of $0 - really, the things people just throw away! It was complete with ugly bakelite handles, a glass shelf and two wing mirrors too, though I only remembered to take the 'before' pic after I already removed them - oops, classic me, like a bull at a gate!
Anyways, after a general clean, patch-up and light all over sand I replaced the central glass shelf with a piece of timber (just cause the glass didn't seem quite right for the look I was going for) then primed and painted the whole thing black.
To add some distinction, and for a slight industrial edge, I stencilled on some simple numbers in pale buttery vanilla before distressing the whole piece (corners, edges and flat surfaces) by hand with a sanding block.
Next I sealed the whole thing with wipe-on poly before attaching some new nickel bin pulls.
The big tri-piece wing mirror is completely detachable so you can use it with:
 
or without:
 
I love the way some paint and a few unique little touches can give an old piece of furniture a completely new feel.
So from this:
to this:
 
I hope you enjoyed this makeover. There's always something like this going on over at my blog so please feel free to stop by sometime. At the moment I'm re-doing my master bedroom with a whole heap of salvaged junk - oh, I mean treasure - I'm in the midst of sprucing-up.

12 comments:

cindy September 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

I think this is superb! Love me some furniture makeovers. :) Great detailing too. I'm a new follower of both Remodelaholic and the Painted Hive, and love all the inspiration.

Little Miss Martha September 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

You know I've always loved the vanities, but could never see them as anything else. I love this idea. It would work well just on a blank wall or as an entryway table. Too Cute! Thanks for opening my eyes!

Keri September 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

I love it! I especially love the pulls. Also the option for the mirror. I like that the mirror can be one or three. Great piece!

Cassie Bustamante September 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

kristine, i love this piece! i love the numbers, hardware, etc! it would be perfect as an entry piece and i think i like it better without the mirror. very nicely done!

Krista Benskin September 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

Loving it! I definitely like it better without the mirrors, but who doesn't like having options?

michelle September 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

I love this!! What a transformation and all your accessories look so perfect on it!!

Jenny September 15, 2010 at 5:17 AM  

Fabulous makeover! I love it without the mirrors and the styling you have given it but it does look good either way! ;-)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP