We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Brighten Up Your Living Room With Aria Ivory Paint

14 September 2010

The Red Door Home painted over her red walls to brighten up her living room with Aria Ivory instead.  I love the light and breezy feeling the room has now, while before it was so formal.  Read how she does it.


I took advantage of the long holiday weekend to begin my red room makeover projectThe first step in this transformation is of course painting. 



We emptied most everything out of the room, covered what was left in plastic and then filled and sanded all the holes in the walls.



gathered the painting crew and we began by priming. The people at Sherwin Williams recommended using drywall primer followed by two coats of paint. The primer was definitely thinner than other paint I have used but seemed to do the job.



Once the primer dried it was on to the paint. I decided to use myfavorite wall color which also happens to be the same color as the rest of my house – SW Aria Ivory. (Yes, this is the same color Miss Mustard Seed painted her dining room. Click HERE to read more about Aria Ivory and the color connection we share.) I know some of you might be disappointed I did not choose to a “different color” but I decided to go with something that has stood the test of time for me.


So here is a reminder of what the room looked like before:



This is what the room looks like now:



It is a big change with just a coat of paint - so much brighter and lighter. The room feels like a much happier space and has a definiteScandinavian vibe to it now. I am truly pleased with the progress already. 



Gone are the dark red valences along with the skirted table, brass lamps and most of the accessories. I would like to replace the coffee table at some point but until I find something else it will have to stay. 



Next up is window treatments to which there are two components – fabric and hardware.

I plan to visit fabric stores this week along with searching the internet to see what I can find. (If you have any great sources please let me know.) I am leaning towards simple panels with perhaps some sort of decorative edging. Having no real plan, this of course is all subject to change if I come across a patterned fabric that I fall head over heels for! 

Then there is the window hardware. With so many choices – wrought iron, wood, painted, etc. – it is hard to know where to begin. I want something simple and in keeping with the style of the room. With four windows, cost is also a big consideration.

So wish me luck. For me, this is the most fun part of the project. I am what some might call a “fabricaholic.” I can spend days looking at fabric and will take my time before making my final decision. 


That is a great new look.  It feels a lot brighter and looks wonderful!  How do you like the living room now?

8 comments:

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage September 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

LOVE IT!! I love red- but it looks amazing in it's new color!! Love it! Love it! Love it! :)

Crystal September 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

GORGEOUS!! I love the white on white on white feel you have. It's crisp, clean, and beautiful!

Red Door Home September 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

Thanks for featuring my newly painted room! Hopefully I will have some new additions - i.e. curtains - soon.

{Bellamere Cottage} September 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I've said it a million times... But.... I'll NEVER stop being surprised by what a difference a bit of paint can make. Your room is breathtaking... LOVE it.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Sonja @ Craft-Werk September 15, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

What a brilliant transformation. I can soooo relate to it - I also had a red room in mine which I turned into a lighter (but not white) drawing room. Your house looks beautiful - I would love to see more of it. Guess, I need to check your blog ;-)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP