We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fall Decor, Lighted Rag Garland Tutorial

25 September 2010

This is a post I did from last year, just re-posting cause we are sorta busy at the moment!  Hope that is okay!

Within my home I have two banisters.  It is fun to have them decked out for the holidays.  I had all sorts of spooky stuff for Halloween and when I took it down, it felt bare.

I wanted a fall inspired garland, but couldn't afford to buy one so I started to look around. 

Here is what I found, and how I used it

2 Bleach stained towels
2 Strands of white Christmas lights
Several scraps of fabric in different fall colors (about 1/2 a yard of about 6 colors, slightly more of some)
Masking tape
Fall leaf sprays (optional)
Scissors
A bit of time (and a lot of hulu shows later)

The inspiration for this idea is a window treatment my friend Kim did in her daughter's room.  The hard part was coming up with a bendable "bar" type string.  That is where the towel came in.  I cut some old towels into 1/3's length wise.  Then sewed them end to end, (although I realize now that I could have just masking taped them together for those of you without a sewing machine.) 

Step 1. I measured the banister and cut the (now sewn/taped together) towel piece to length.

Step 2 Then I rolled it up width wise, and secured the roll with masking tape.  See picture below:

Step 3.  Wrap lights around towel roll.  Make sure the lights work!!! Then divide the roll and string in half to help you get an even distribution of lights.  Secure with masking tape when necessary.
Step 4.  If you choose to have a leaf spray at the end tape that in place at both ends of garland now.
Step 5.  Take your fabric of choice and cut them into strips.  I cut mine into strips approximately 1/2" -1" wide and 10" to 15" inches long .

Then begin tying the fabric strips randomly onto the towel roll.  Until the towel is completely covered

Hang up where ever you would like.  And plug it in.  It is so festive and fun at night!  I love it!

15 comments:

Olivia September 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

Hello! This is awesome! To be honest I thought what in the world is she doing with those towels! I love how cute it turned out!
Hugs,
Olivia

S. Chaffee September 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

Great idea! I was trying to figure out how to dress up my house on a budget. Although this one doesn't have any railings whatsoever I think I'll find somewhere for this to go :)

Jessica September 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

This is wonderful! We are going to be moving into a house with stairs next month and I hope to make this! w

notjustamommyafterall.blogspot.com

Terry September 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

I too thought...what is she up to?! But I love it! And it's sooooo easy!! My husband will roll his eyes again (like he did when I bought 50 lbs. of feed corn to make microwaveable heat pads!) but it's tooooo cute to pass up!

Robyn September 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

At first I was thinking "I have NO idea how this could possibly turn out but it's the REMODELAHOLIC, it's going to ROCK" ...and I was right! It's awesome!

cheeky rose September 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM  

This is great, I have to provide activites for clients and I am going to try and get them to do this.

Prior September 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

very clever and I like that it could be changed up for other occasions! Lezlee

Carol September 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

GORGEOUS! This will look so adorable in my cottage! Thanks for sharing!

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

PioneerLoft September 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

You could hang these over your windows instead of the railing if you don't have one! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP