We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Before and After; Boy Room Design Ideas

01 September 2010

Cassie from Hi Sugarplum! sent over this absolutely wonderful, before and after of a boy's room design that she did for her son.  I am LOVING the after shots and am so impressed with how incredible the whole thing turned out- what a lucky kid!  Here is what she had to say:


I am positively bursting at the seams with how this project turned out. It was so much fun...and I think mostly because I was doing it for my sweet son. He was visiting grandparents in Michigan for two weeks, but calling every few days to check on the progress. And you parents know, kids don't call home...so that shows just how excited he was to kiss his 'baby' room good-bye!

Let's start with memory lane....the 'Before' shots.

before

Pale lime walls, puppy dog patchwork bedding, pictures he made as a toddler, Crystal Light carpet stains

jack bed before


before 2

Furniture pushed to the side to create 'play space'

before 3

Baby pictures, stuffed animals....definitely not saying, 'I'm a cool 9-year old boy!'

jack shelves before

So we emptied out the room, packed up the sentimental baby stuff, painted every square inch of the walls and most of the furniture....and here are the 'Afters':

1

I know, right?!? Drastic change! The bed was spray painted high-gloss white. The small Ikea sisal rug was borrowed from the laundry room and adds some warmer tones as well as texture. The over sized wall clock was a Marshalls find:

2

My amazing aunt spent an afternoon helping me with the stripes and arranging furniture...she actually has the patience to use an eyeliner brush to paint along the corners and baseboards?!? (I see where my mutant OCD gene originates.) 

3

I covered his old corkboard in burlap to bring in texture:

4

Replaced the oversized table for a sleek Ikea desk that happened to be in the brown/white color scheme of the room...even luckier that it had the chrome accent I also used. The chair is a spare from our breakfast table set:

5

These basic Ikea shelves come raw with the chrome brackets....I painted them brown with white trim to match the desk:

6

Here's the cute soup cans I made into pencil cups. Walmart had the orange alarm clock and desk lamp (that has a built-in charging station!).

6a

Much more organized study area....he'll probably never sit there, but it's sure cute!

7

Gallery wall for him to add to as he wants (since it can't be seen from outside the room!). I made the prints from our trips to the animal park. 

8

Cool soccer art by Mr. Sugarplum....and the 'Do What You Love' canvas was a fun find from Target. World Market has a great collection of Decal Art, including the 'Rock Star' and bass guitar. Bonus because they peel off easily.

9

I did a happy dance when I found this night table at Home Goods. I made the small picture from his favorite fortune cookies. The metal bucket was collecting dust in the pool shed...I love the pop of chrome, and the extra storage.

10

I made this map board out of an old corkboard that was chilling in the garage. The map is also a decal from World Market. The shelf matches the two over the desk.

11

I'm crazy for the drapes...so warm and textury! The giant cardboard F is from JoAnn Fabrics...I left it raw so my son could decide how he wants it decorated. Orange boxes from Ikea for more storage (boys have so many small gadgets!).

12

The dresser definitely transformed, and I added a shallow bowl for the little treasures that he brings home every day.

13

The dolphin picture over the bed was my grandfather's...so it brings a dose of sentimental, great shades of blue, and a mature tone. The fish picture over the dresser is by the same artist. The bedding is from Kohls and the throw pillow from Target.

14

He didn't even want to stop for ice cream on the way home from the airport....straight home to see his room! And the verdict......

100_9763

HE LOVES IT!
And immediately made little sister get her feet off his new bed!

100_9764

Then dove in to wallow in all the 'Big Guyness' of the room before declaring, "I feel like I'm 10!" (he turned 9 this summer)

100_9765

This morning he had the bed made and everything back in it's original spot....I think that means the room makeover was a success! And the even better part?!?!?! By using items we already owned, updating his existing furniture, and shopping cheap smart, the total amount spent was under $300!!!

The colors are the brown paint leftover from painting our bathroom cabinets, Behr Swan White, and Obstinate Orange (sounded fairly appropriate to me!) by Sherwin Williams.


Isn't it so graphic and fun!
I would love to have a room like this in my house, 
just cause I think it is SO energizing!
What is your favorite part?  (I LUFF the stripes!)

7 comments:

Shopper Gal September 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

Love the stripes!! Those colors are amazing! Great photos & Love his smile once he saw the makeover- precious!!!

Shopper Gal
http://www.shoppergal.com/

Christina Marie September 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

FABULOUS room! Makes me wish I hadn't already bought my son's comforter for his new room (which is far from done yet)... but thanks for the ideas! You did a fantastic job! :o)
And I had to laugh at your son's comment... my daughter said the exact same thing when she got her first pair of shoes with heels! lol

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP