We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Recovering a Lampshade: 33 Shades of Green

16 August 2010

Thank you Cassity for having me here to guest post again!  Please come visit me at my blog 33 Shades of Green where you will find me crafting, cooking, decorating, and trying out all sorts of creative projects.
.
.
I recently took an old lamp from my Grandparents house.  When I saw it, I was pretty sure that I could put it too good use somewhere in my house.  I had it for a few weeks and decided that with a little work it could work really nicely in my guest room.
.
When I found the lamp it looked like this:
.
.
.
I loved the shape, but it definitely was old and dated.
.
First, I spray painted the base with a few coats of Krylon 'Dover White' in a gloss finish.
.
Then I got to work on recovering the shade.  Originally, I was planning on buying a new shade.  But the old shade was in great shape and I decided it would be easy to recover myself.
.
To recover a shade, you will need fabric, seam binding and craft glue.
.
.
I used trace paper to make a template for the fabric.  You could also use a large section of newspaper or even wrapping paper.  Once I had the template, I pinned it on to the fabric and cut out my fabric.  Make sure to leave an inch or two of extra fabric around each side.
.
.
Next, I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the shade.  Spray adhesive is VERY sticky, so make sure you do it outside or in a garage!
.
.
After using the spray adhesive, the shade looked like this:
.
.
Trim the extra fabric so that about a 1/2" remains.  That will give you just enough to fold over and secure the edge. 
.
Use craft glue or a hot glue gun to attach fabric to inside of shade.  I use Aleene's Original Tacky Glue.
.
.
Where the two edges or fabric overlap, fold over and press one side to create a finished seam, and then glue down with craft glue.
.
Here's how the edges looked:
.
.
You could leave the edges like this, but I decided to add seam binding to both the top and bottom edges for a nice, finished look.  I used craft glue for this too.
.
.
Here's the finished lamp in my guest room:
.
.
.
.
.
I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy project!  If you have any questions, stop by my blog 33 Shades of Green.
.

18 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} August 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

That really looks updated and modern! I love it. I have an old lamp that I just might try it out on.

thanks!!


heather

SandyQuilts August 16, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

I have to stop visiting your blog ... I can't get any quilting/sewing done. LOL

Now I'm on the hunt for a lamp to try my hand recovering a shade. I also added 33 Shades of Green to my google.com/reader amazing site. thanks.

Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage August 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Wow - that looks great! I have been wondering how to recover a lamp shade,so thanks for the easy to follow tutorial!

Kelli August 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

This is just amazing. I love the fabric and the white base of the lamp. It doesn't look repurposed at all! Great job!

Anonymous,  August 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

totally updated, and I love that fabric!!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life August 16, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

Love it. The shade is fantastic and the lamp is gorgeous. You did such a beautiful job. Hugs, Marty

susan August 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

Love the fabric and the finished lamp! I'm not clear on how you make the template. I love the spray painted base--gives it a whole new life!

Tori August 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Love these colors and also love your granite - appears we are having the same granite installed later this month! Good taste, sister!

FIToriBLOG.com

brittany August 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

great tutorial, there is a nasty lamp shade in the living room that stares me in the face, I'm going to cover it!

Anonymous,  August 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

Amazing transformation! I also recently painted an outdated lamp all-white, I love it. The fabric you chose is beautiful - I'm going to follow your instructions to cover a shade.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP