We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

New Blue Bathroom Paint Job: Guest Remodel

16 August 2010

Amanda at The Hand Me Down House decided to start brightening things up in her house by beginning in the bathroom.


Alright, as promised in last week's post, today I'm SO excited to share with you my bathroom makeover!  This project was my "test run" for painting trim, cabinet and doors a bright, beautiful white.  I thought this smaller bathroom would be a good place to try out the white-trim look without having to do the whole house.  And I must tell you, it was a success!

So let's have a little refresher as to how the bathroom looked pre-makeover:



Well, actually, right before we moved in it looked more like this:



 I'm still kicking myself for never taking a picture of the outdated bathroom before we redid it the first time.  Although, it was a little scary looking, so maybe it's better I don't have a picture to show you.

So as you can see our bathroom was just beige-tastic.....and I'm SO over beige right now.  I'm ready to paint every surface of beigey beige wall in our house -- so I'm sure you'll read of my distaste for this color again.  I used to LOVE beige -- so warm and inviting, but now I'm just ready for a change.   And with our lovely oak trim and doors, it just makes our whole house look brown and blah. Ewww.

I had been toying with the idea of updating some trim for a while, but when I read Gail at My Repurposed Life's post about painting trim it sealed the deal.  I decided to take the plunge and try out her trim painting techniques.  It was much easier than I thought it would be (plus Gail's great advice and tutorials definitely helped!!).  I removed all the trim and door frames (which made the process SO much easier):





I took the trim and door frames and numbered the back of each piece so I could figure out where it went in the room when I put them back on (HIGHLY recommend this step!).  Then I took them all out to the garage and primed each piece and then painted three coats of white trim paint on each.  It was a tedious process, but there's lots of drying time involved, so I had plenty of time to get the wall painting and shelf building done too.

I also took that little nook and decided to go the built in route.  I will go into detail on that more in a later post.  I'm SO happy with the end result....are you ready to get a peak?

Do you see those Snapple Vases above the cabinet!?!




Do you LOVE it??  Isn't it like 100 times brighter and cleaner looking?  Out with that beige and in with the white!  I love our little built in bench and shelves -- and I can't wait to show you how I did it.  The best part is that bench opens up and I have towels and soaps and lotions stored in it.  I'm all for more storage!

Here's the cost breakdown on my little redo:

Wall Paint:  $12.00
Trim Paint:  $9.30
Trim for Shelves:  $4.00
Wood for Bench and Shelves:  $14.60
Foam for Bench:  $5.50
Fabric for Bench:  $3.80 
Shower Curtain:  $6.00 (new in package at GoodWill!!)
Black Lantern Candle Holders:  $8.00
Apothecary Jar:  $8.00
Beachy Jar:  $7.00 (HomeGoods)
Baskets:  $12.00 (HomeGoods)
White Tray:  $3.00 (GoodWill + Spray paint)
New Rugs:  $14.50 
TOTAL:  $107.40

Well I say, "NOT BAD!" for $107ish.  Over half of that was for all the new goodies I had to get to decorate my new bathroom. :)  You know how it goes...

Here's some before and after side-by-sides:





How do you like it now? 

Not a bad price huh?

11 comments:

Carol August 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

Aren't bathrooms wonderful for trying out something new and unexpected? Just small enough to make for an affordable project... and who doesn't love almost-instant gratification?!

Carol
antiquetexan.blogspot.com

Belinda August 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

So lovely and bright! I am in love with the wall color and the white shines!

Anonymous,  August 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

Gorgeous! It is so bright and cheerful...what a fun space.

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block August 17, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

AH! Thanks so much, guys! :) You're so wonderful to feature my bathroom on your fantastic blog!!

Unknown November 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

LOVE THE COLOR. I was previously looking to do my bathroom in a blue but could not find the right blue, but this is the color i had in my mind. Could you share the color and mfg.? Thanks for posting....

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP