We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Handmade Wood Buffet For The Dining Room: Guest Project

11 August 2010

Brandy at Life of Perks wanted to share with us what she has accomplished with building her wood buffet.  


There haven't been many times in my life that I could point to something and say "I did that." Let's face it, mostly when I do something the last thing I want to admit is responsibility.
But this time I accept full responsibility for what I've done, with a little help from a truly awesome lady, Ana @ Knockoff Wood
After a few weeks of fruitless searching I gave up. This is the south, it's hot out there. I had
more fun things I wanted to get to.

So, I decided I could just build a buffet for the dining room.
Cue sidelong look & smirk from Hubs when that revelation was made. Not that he didn't think I could do it, he just knows how impatient I can get. He's pretty handy, I'm sure he thought he would end up doing it.

I declared, a bit too loudly, that "I would do this & for free." Using only scraps left over from
previous projects. So I printed up Ana's plans for bookcases and drew all over them. Modifying the height, dividing the shelves, and adding doors.

I wish I had taken a picture of the pile of wood stacked in the garage before I started.... It never occurred to me. I used 1x3's for the top so it would look like planks to match my dining room table, kind of a farmhouse table? I guess? Glued the planks together and clamped them tight.
I only dropped the top on my foot once.
Not bad, cause this gal's an accident lookin' for a place to happen.
(I once broke my toe while painting. Don't ask)

If you look very closely you can see where I had to write "front" with an ➜ to remind myself which way would be the front. Hey whatever works, right?!

I used MDF for the sides and shelf, the legs and trim on the front are 1x2's.

Not to bad so far, right?!?! For a girl with a super handy Hubs, I've helped with a lot of projects. But this is the first one I was on my own with.

The sander died on me while trying to make the top perfect. Hubs said the cost of the new sander should be added to the cost of the project, I disagree. :-)


I've never built a door before, and this took some trial and error. I did end up making a few trips to Home Depot at this point. But the actual molding on the doors was leftovers from another project.

Some may laugh, but the hinges were hard for me!! Way hard, added almost another week to finishing this project. I just couldn't get it to work in my mind. I thought I knew what I needed and then I'd head to Lowe's & Home Depot only to become utterly confused. I ended up going through the house taking hinges off different things (sewing table, armoire, bathroom cabinets) until I figured out what would work. Don't laugh.... at least not as loud as some people did.
This world of hidden, unhidden, mortised, non-mortised hinges baffled me.

When I figured it all out, it seemed too simple to have been confusing.
Part of the problem....... I finally figured out that on the hinge display at Lowe's, all the hinges were hung backwards. It totally confused me. I know, I'm weird.

At this point you're probably wondering if I should be allowed to cross the street alone.
Sometimes you really can think about something TOO MUCH!!

I used Gorilla Glue for the molding on the doors. Love this stuff, it works fast!!! I made quite mess of the bottle!!!
Drag that puppy inside and let the paint party begin!!!
I had the black paint left over from the bathroom remodel.


My much thought about doors even open and close properly.
I did it!!
I think I want some pretty glass pulls for the door, but I am holding out for something that really "speaks" to me.

It's not ornate or fancy but it goes well with the rest of the dining room furniture.
I DID THAT!!!!
Is it possible to be in love with a piece of furniture???
Yes!
Something about knowing that you built it from a pile of scrap wood is very exhilarating.
The big question is to distress or not to distress? The rest of the dining room furniture is lightly distressed. So far I just have not been able to bring myself to take a piece of sandpaper to this baby.

Now did I finish this for free? (Like I so stupidly proclaimed at the beginning) Uh...No.
I got a bit carried away running my mouth off to the Hubs. I didn't even think about the hinges, doors, and thin piece I would need for the back. So yes, I did have to spend some money.
Total cost for my new buffet $20.58

Wow!  She did that herself.  Great Job!  
How do you like her new buffet?

5 comments:

Amy August 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

Oh my gosh! If I hadn't seen it I would have thought it was from Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen! Nice clean lines, black finish! Very, Very Nice!

Anonymous,  August 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

OMG! I am a super happy gal at the moment. Thank you so much for featuring me, you have no idea how great that is. I just started blogging a few weeks ago. I had it in the back of my mind and had taken pictures of stuff to share with friends. But to be honest, I put off the idea of blogging because I figured that there were so many blogs out there.... well, who'd care what was on mine. Thank You!! You have made my day!
Brandy
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Brittany Lewis August 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

That's so awesome! I am totally that accident prone too, i may have to steal that little line "
an accident lookin' for a place to happen"! I've broke my nose, sprang stuff, & gave myself at least 3 black eyes. But anyways awesome job!

brittany-theyoungjunker.blogspot.com
(go check out my blog!)

Unknown August 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

I too am accident prone. I broke a toe fifteen minutes before a job interview. After I got the job, I guess I would highly recommend it simply for the pity factor!

But instead of talking about job interviews, I should be complimenting the great job on this project! And free projects somehow wind up the best, don't they?

Rabiul Islam October 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP