We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Danish Modern Bench Redo; Guest

12 August 2010

We have shown a few of Cassie's projects from Primitive and Proper, but I couldn't resist this make over.  It is simple yet has such a fun, artistic flair.... 


DISCLAIMER: I am not an artist. I just play one on this blog.

A few weeks ago, I picked up this Danish modern slat bench from a lady in town who was moving and giving it away for free. It's not the sort of thing I normally do, but free is always my sort of thing. ;)

As you can see, the finish was worn and peeling in some spots. I sanded it with my orbital sander, then took it outside for a coat of KILZ oil-based spray primer. Once that was dry, I took it back inside to brush on another coat of oil-based primer. Once that was dry, it was back outside for some semi-gloss white paint. Once that was dry, I used Americana Slate Gray to add some decorative touches. I painted some wispy branches coming from either side. (It's been so hot that a reminder of what winter branches looks like is welcome around here!). Here it is now. Kind of funky, yes, but a fun piece that would look great in a wide entry of a modern home.






And she says she is not an artist?!?  ...but I have to say, that seeing a piece like the before and creating the after has artist written all over it!  So own it! The piece is simply beautiful, and would be so fun as a (rather long, but hecka cool) coffee table!

8 comments:

Cassie Bustamante August 12, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

wow, what a nice surprise to wake up and see this morning! thank you so much for featuring my bench.... and for calling me an artist. ;)

Cristiane Carvalho August 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

Bom dia!!!
Passei só pra deixar um carinho, e desejar que seu dia seja abençoado, bjks doces...Cris
Eu amo seu blog...

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic August 12, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

Looks great painted! We had a coffee table just like that growing up. My brother still has it!

kj August 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Free Danish Modern bench... Awesome! Beautiful makeover, I'm awed by your talent.

Elisa August 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

Wow, it turned out beautiful and I love the branches! This caught my eye because we recently picked up a very similar free bench. On ours the slats interlock and the two ends can be pulled apart to make the bench longer. We were thinking of a redo into a coffee table, but it's sitting in storage till time and inspiration are more plentiful. Love this idea! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP