We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Painted Wooden Dinning Chairs: Guest Remodel

11 August 2010

At Red Door Home, she painted wooden dinning room chairs and added a new look with new fabric cushions.  She how she did it below.


About a year and a half ago I purchased this dining room set from Craig’s List.

It is made by Henredon and included the table, four chairs, two leaves and custom made table pads. We had no dining room furniture (or any other furniture in this room) and considering the quality of the pieces, for $400 I think I found a pretty good deal.

My husband and I instantly agreed the striped velvet fabric (which I think was the original fabric) had to go. I choose pretty fabric from Calico Corners, used the old fabric as a pattern and even reused the original cording - a simple reupholstering project, which immediately updated the look of the chairs. 
It was at this point, the agreeing stopped. I wanted to paint the chairs and Mr. RDH wanted me to leave them as is. So for 18 months Iheld off painting, thinking I might change my mind. I kept seeing pretty pictures, however, on some of my favorite blogs like the ones below. 

unknown source


image via Cote De Texas

I have always loved a mix of finishes and now was even more convinced I needed to paint! So last week - unbeknownst to Mr. RDH - I took the plunge and once again I am so glad I did! (you may remember I had a similar dilemma with a clock.)

Chair before:

Chair lightly sanded:

Chair painted with my favorite paint – Valspar satin in Porcelain:

Chair glazed:

My dining room with newly painted chairs:

A big improvement! I love how the painted chairs make the space brighter and the table and chairs less “matchy-matchy.” 

For a centerpiece I used an architectural element filled with sticks, along with several different style candlesticks and alinen table runner I made (for directions click HERE). Since this is one of the first rooms you see when walking through the front door, all of these elements provide the perfect transition into the rest of the house. 

So what does Mr. RDH think? I am happy to report he likes the chairs better now that they are painted. Turns out he was never really crazy about the chairs to begin with – he liked the table.Harmony found!


I think that they turned out great!  What do you think?

7 comments:

alissa {33shadesofgreen} August 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

Beautiful! I love the upholstery and the look of the dark table with the light chairs. Looks great!

Becky August 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

I LOVE the chairs painted white.....wise idea! I think it looks great!

Star Talks August 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Love it! Great job. You inspired me to go out and buy fabric for my dining room chairs that I want to paint and reupholster! Got the fabric today and I'm getting started this weekend!

Red Door Home August 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Thanks for featuring my chair project! I am truly excited about the results.

Melissa at HOUSEography August 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

I LOVE this! I wonder if the hubs would flip out if he came home and saw that I had done this to our chairs. Actually, maybe I'll just do this to our kitchen chairs which really need a little lift :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP