We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Feeling Spindle-y, Re-purpose, Guest

04 August 2010

Gail from My Repurposed Life sent over this little project and I love it.  I think they are beautiful.  And after reading her post I am wanting to move to a place where you find such great junk on the side of the road.


100_5869



Jamie told me that I needed some height on my mantel. I was thinking candlesticks. I looked at the store (Meijer) and I saw that they are VERY expensive. I braved the cold in the garage and rummaged around to see what I could find.
100_5760

This is a bedpost from a full sized bed that Cathy and I found on the curb. It wasn’t really bench worthy, so I parted it out. I cut off the posts and legs, and threw the headboard away.

100_5762

This is another bed post, not sure where the rest of this bed ended up. :)

100_5764

While in the garage, I also cut some 1x’s and some 4x4’s into squares for bases.

100_5767

Then I sort of just started playing around with the configurations. A lot like I do when I make totems.

100_5769
This is a 1x5, and part of a bed post/leg.
100_5771
Here I added the top of another bed post.
100_5774
I sanded the rough edges, and cleaned up all the saw dust.
100_5778
This is the bottom part of the bed post pictured above.
100_5777
This is a 1x5, and a 1x4, a part of a staircase spindle, and the top (finial) of an old chair.
100_5783
This little cutie is a 1x5, 4x4 and a chair leg!
100_5784
This is the other part of the stair case spindle, with another chair finial on top.
I used gorilla glue to hold all the pieces together. I could not decide what color I wanted, so I chose 3 different colors.  Here I have one of those cute little glass ashtray pieces I picked up at the peddler’s mall.
 100_5787  100_5788

This is the same turquoise I used on my last window cabinet I made. I watered it down so it was more like a glaze. I used Kilz on all of these before I painted their new colors on them.  This white one is the free Glidden “Crisp Linen” with a wash/glaze of raw umber over it. The browns are a glaze of raw umber. The candle I got on clearance this week at Walmart for .25 cents.

100_5797 100_5800
100_5868

I put them in my gynormous firebox and lit the candles.
100_5861
100_5863

I am not sure what configuration I will use. I don’t know whether I will keep them in the firebox, put them on the mantel, or on the hearth. I may change up the colors. I tend to change my mind a lot. Ideas? Suggestions? I’m sure you true junkers have lots of items in your stash that you can make these from. They sort of remind me of chess pieces.

I am still enjoying my fireplace and can hardly believe I actually made it!

Love it!
Does anyone else have any clever re-purpose ideas?  



4 comments:

kathie August 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

I love this idea! So simple, but such a big impact. I've been saving your tutorial on headboard benches for my husband :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  August 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

I love your blog, these turned out so pretty. Now when I'm out junkin' I'm keeping my eyes peeled for old furniture legs to re-purpose.
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP