We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Art Project: Branches Wall Art, Guest

26 July 2010

I admit, I think I have a bit of a favorite craft/decor blog.  Or at least one that I am very often in awe of their projects, I really recommend you go check their site out, Lemon tree Creations.  A group of ladies with great taste and fun design sense.  This project is by Erin check out what she did:



IMG_5009.JPG
I had an incredibly lucky moment a few months ago, when some friends asked me to make a few signs for their house. They wanted to pull apart a beautiful old chest that was in their home and use that wood for the project, and offered me the rest of the wood to use as I wished. They added, "the chest is made from some old barn wood from our farm." I couldn't get my yes out fast enough!! The wood is beautiful, rich, warm and weathered, and I was thrilled.
IMG_4495.JPG
I knew I had to come up with something special for this wood, no typical sign would do, so I turned to Keri at Cutting Edge Wall Stencils and got this incredible stencil.
SongbirdsOnBranchACTUAL.jpg
I lined up the boards and enlisted a few cute handymen to secure them to one another on the back with metal braces. Then, with a flat base I started on my stencil.
IMG_4782.JPG
I wanted some depth to the design, so I picked out light, medium and dark shades of acrylic paint to stencil with.
IMG_4814.JPG
I started off with a shimmery bronze paint that was a very similar shade as the wood. I lightly sprayed the stencil with a tacky stencil adhesive, and placed it a bit off-center on top of the wood. I then grabbed a stiff stencil brush and started to layer on the bronze.
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG
I let the bronze paint dry, repositioned the stencil, and painted a shimmery gold color on the corners of the board, overlapping a bit of the bronze branches.
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4829.jpg
When this was dry I centered the stencil, and started in on my lightest color, a creamy white. I pulled away the stencil and was done!! I attached wire hanging gear across the back and put it right up on the wall.
IMG_4984.JPG
One of my favorite things about this piece is how different it looks depending on where you're standing in the room. When the light is hitting it just right, all of the shimmery colors just pop out.
IMG_4979.JPG
If the light is not directly on the picture, the creamy colored branch stands out the most,
IMG_4974.JPG
but if you're looking at it face-on, there is a nice blend of the three colors. I wanted this painting to have the sense of depth that you'd have if you were standing under a tree looking up at the branches.
IMG_4972.JPG
I also was so happy with the contrast between the old and battered wood, and the elegance of the branches in the shimmery tones. I love it!
IMG_5001.jpg
I practiced the design on two smaller sections of the same wood, and these are available in my etsy shop here. I included this sweet little bird, who didn't make it onto the big piece, but I think is a fun element.
IMG_4941.JPG
I am so pleased with this project! It has really given me a new appreciation for wall stencils, something I had previously shied away from since I am such a commitment phobe with decor. But being able to stencil onto something that could then be moved around is fabulous!!






Didn't she really do a lovely job?  

I need to try this out!

11 comments:

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life July 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

This is great!! Its amazing how it changes when you move.. I love it! Great job!

And I like the little bird in the small picture!

emily July 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

that's so pretty! i love the tone of the wood, and the metallic paints just highlight its luminosity. well done!

Unknown July 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

I follow Lemon Tree Creations, and I LOVE this project, which inspired me to stencil a piece I'll be revealing later this week on my own blog.

Cheers,
Laura

Caitlin @ That House on the Corner July 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Amazing job. I think I am going to have to copy this for some Christmas gifts! I am seriously going to the re-store tomorrow now for scrap wood.

Thanks for sharing,

xoxo,
Caitlin @ That House on the Corner

Unknown July 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

This is beautiful! I am having quite an issue with artwork lately; so many wonderful ideas, too few walls to put it on! At this rate, even my garage will be getting a makeover.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light July 28, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

That's really unusual and lovely. Love the layered metallic colors and white - its neutral, but interesting. What a great idea for salvaged wood.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP