We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Window to your Stuff; Window re-use; Guest

30 May 2010

Gail over at My Repurposed Life is literally my new re-use hero.  And I have some windows just like this... Yea!  Check out what she did:
This was a long time coming. Seems like that’s becoming a habit with me, huh?  Just to refresh your memory . . .
100_4185
I picked up two of these windows at my favorite Peddler’s Mall.

 100_7523
I worked on building a frame around the windows out of some scrap mdf. This was not an easy task. I had figures and formulas bouncing around in my head, trying to make sure that the opening I left would properly surround the two windows.

 100_7543
On facebook and twitter I talked about how much trouble I was having with finding hinges. I was lucky enough to stumble across these hinges in my hardware inventory.  Here’s a little tip , use painter’s tape to hold your hinge while you drill pilot holes and screw the screws.

 100_7547
The doors are on! Finally! See that piece in the middle, between the doors?  That is to keep the doors from “falling” inward.


 100_7549
I used a piece of bead board for the back.

 100_7551
Now, I need to add door handles and some kind of lock mechanism.

100_7581
I used the original handles, then  I had an aha moment!  Check out how I installed the  latches . . .

 100_7641
. . . I used the original window locks, attaching them at the top of the windows. (which of course are the original “sides” of the windows) Note the grooves. The little latch slides right down in the groove, and keeps the doors securely closed.  The one on the left is unlocked, the one on the right is locked.


 100_7659
If you compare the the color of these windows to the original windows, you’ll see that I used some dark walnut stain to darken them. I am so over the honey colored woodwork.
 100_7660
 100_7662
 100_7664

 100_repurposed window cabinet 7668
 100repurposed window cabinet _7666
 100repurposed window cabinet _7670
 repurposed window cabinet 7
 repurposed window cabinet 8
 repurposed window cabinet 10
This has been sitting in my living every since I finished it.
I have fallen in love with it, but alas I do not have room to keep it.

Isn't that an awesome idea!  
Seriously if you want some great ideas, check out her blog!

6 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest May 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

I loved Gail's project with the doors. It turned out great! Thanks for sharing this with us. Love & blessings from NC!

gail@My Repurposed Life May 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

Thanks for blogging my post about the window display cabinet! :) It's definitely one of my favorite window projects!
I appreciate it!
gail

Anonymous,  May 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

What great work. Wish I lived closer. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Magic Brush May 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

I think you should do a linky party for window projects! I love doing them and love seeing what others do too!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP