We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Guest Room Reveal; Monthly Contributor Project

15 April 2010

Kara from KaraPaslayDeigns is another new monthly contributor.  I first saw one of her projects on Brooklyn limestone and was drooling for the awesome transformation.  When I saw this room I realized I have a design crush on this guest room.  What do you all think of here wonderful before an after?  Here she is,

It's finally time to unveil my guest bedroom. It's come a loooooooooong way!!!
It was one of those rooms that we completely gutted. In fact we had a HUGE hole in the floor revealing the crawl space underneath!!! We lived like this for longer than I care to admit (let's just say it was more than a couple of weeks). And YES!!! there was some marital strife caused from this.
But I have to say, there is NO other man I know that would take on the tasks Tim does, having no idea how to do them when he starts and becoming an expert (or close to that) by the end of it all!!! Oh, the things we do for LOVE (the love of design that is).
The focal point of a bedroom is almost always the wall that the bed sits on and it is no different in this room. To create the eye catching design I desired I used reclaimed fence pickets to produce a striped effect on the wall. Then it was time for the headboard!!! I wanted something unexpected and glamorous!
Velvet and tufts seemed way too ordinary, so I came up with this! While the shape and sheen seem glamorous the actual material is rustic!!! Thank you corrugated tin.
Then, of course I needed to address night stands. Enter these stump side tables. I whitewashed the sides and painted the top a metallic silver. CLICK HERE to see a how-to video detailing the process behind turing stumps into furniture.
Now while there is a main focal wall in the room, I definitely couldn't leave the other walls lacking. Directly across from the bed is a dresser, mirror, and small chair.
I dressed up the dresser by adding a little silver leafing on the frame and around the drawers. For a how-to on that process, CLICK HERE!
Now as I have said before, accessories are SUPER important when it comes to making a house feel homey. Add in "homemade" accessories and you've got a room that really shows off your personality. Here are a few pieces I put together.
A jewelry plate pedestal (holding a little letter to thank visitors for their company)!
Silver coated deer antlers that are just for looks OR for function.
A driftwood frame to add some rustic texture.
I love creating easy artwork! A small silhouette was simple and cheap!
And of course this lamp that I created from a thrift store piece. Want to make your own lamp? CLICK HERE for a full tutorial!
I love to lavish my guests with love! I gathered this tray of goodies to say "WELCOME"!!!!! Chocolate and a good magazine can really make for a day great!!
I always like to make a statement with my lighting and that often gets expensive. The overhead light in the guest bedroom used to look like the one you see below.
That's right the spherical lantern hanging above the table. It was a little too rustic for me and I wanted something more modern in this particular space. So, with a little modification I created a completely different look for very little money!!!
There you have it, a guest bedroom ready for some action!!!! No, NOT that kind of action! Any takers????

Don't you all love it?   
The headboard is my very favorite feature!
What do you like the most?

Don't forget to check out her blog! Kara Paslay Designs

25 comments:

One Life Many Journeys April 15, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

So....isn't it wrong to COVET? I am so ashamed! That bead is AMAZING! Now that is a project I am sure could couse some bleeding. It would so be worth it though. I must have one!!! the whole room is Perfect! would you ship it to me? :-}

Robyn April 15, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

WOW! JUST WOW! I WANT THAT HEADBOARD for my daughters room. SHE is brilliant! My husband and I have drawn up plans for a little reading bench that has sides and a room from tin just so we can hear how it sounds in the rain! Thanks for sharing that!

TaDa! Creations April 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

Gorgeous! I love the pops of yellow and the cake pedestal for jewelry is super sweet.

The Pennington Point April 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

I agree with all of the previous comments. The pops of yellow, the wall behind the bed, oh that delicious headboard! She did a wonderful job. When can we try it out? :) Lisa~

Elizabeth & Travis Harville April 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

WoW! Great job!! Thanks for all of the great ideas and inspiration, you really have a gift! :)

Brenna April 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Wow! I LOVE this room! Anytime you want a guest- just let me know. ;)

Florida Life April 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

Wow!! INCREDIBLE room!! I love the nature and modern balance. Perfectly done! :)

Whitney April 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

AH! I need to know what that paint color on the walls is! It's exactly what I've been looking for.

Stephanie @ Minutes to Spare April 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Hi Cassity, I just awarded you the Sunshine Award over at minutestospare.blogspot.com

I too love that guest bedroom, no wonder nobody ever comes to visit me.

Low Tide High Style April 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

Wow, what a gorgeous room! I love the mix of textures and materials used to create a wonderful guest retreat! Great transformation!

Kat :)

Unknown April 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

I am in LOVE with the modern/rustic feel - and the colors! You've gotta share what you did to transform that light. This is gorgeous!!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity April 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

I love it - the headboard, the stump side tables, the twig wreath, the silver antlers. Such great inspiration.

Tania Pelletier April 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

I love the headboard too and when I first saw the wall I thought it was a log wall! Love it!

Tania

Sandy a la Mode April 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

I LOVE THIS ROOM!!! I totally want to decorate a room like this too! I LOVE the gray color you used on your walls and yellow is the perfect punch of color!!! You did SUCH a great job!!

Sonja @ Craft-Werk April 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

This is supercool - I love that room. The headboard is just mind-bogglingly cool. What a great idea. And then there are so many other cool objects that are right up my street - the framed silhouettes, the antlers, the plate pedestal. Have to check this out further! Thanks for posting!

Kara @ MADE 2 CREATE April 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

Thanks for all the comments ladies. You all sure know how to make a girl feel special! Can't wait to share more next month here at REMODELHOLIC!! Till then, be sure to keep up with all my projects at made2cREate.blogspot.com

debtkickingmama April 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

This is possibly my favorite bedroom EVER! If I could design my perfect room, this would be it! Maybe I can convince my hubby that yellow and gray aren't too girly after all if I can steal your ideas for the silvered antler jewelry holder and the stump side tables. Definite room crush!

At Rivercrest Cottage July 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

love it all, but you have the cutest little silhouette. Did you make it? Love the wall, love the headboard...what date did you say I could come?

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques September 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Pretty cool! Although not my style I have to admit I really like it!

Jillian
Bella Rosa Antiques
PS. I found your page when I googled "guest room redo".... I'm working on ours now.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP