We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Dresser Refinish, Guest Party Highlight

14 April 2010

This is a great transformation!  I loved it when I saw it so I had to highlight it.
 Mrs. Adventure did a great job with this piece of furniture.




I have always loved to refinish furniture. Maybe its because I love to take something no one wants and make it something people love & want to have. Or maybe its because I love to create & get covered in paint but whatever the reason I love it.

Maybe there are a few of you that have never tackled furniture. Since I like to believe its only because you don't know where to began I figured I would show you how.
 
This past week I found this great dresser for $25 bucks!  Ok maybe she doesn't look great now but her lines were perfect, and I knew she would be great. 
Ok fine she was VERY rough
Missing hardware
Scary stuff in her drawers... ick.

So here's what I did:
Step 1: CLEAN, wipe down every nook & cranny.
Step 2: Remove all hardware.


Step 3: Sand, I started with a 50 grit, then once all the hard enamel is off I switched to 120 to make sure the finish was very soft & smooth.


Step 4: Once you have the surface good as sanded, wipe down with a clean damp rag to remove any dust.


Note: This dresser was hard to sand down to the bare bones due to it being part laminate. However, I wanted a paint that would last for ages so I picked a Oil Based Enamel. . (which has a bonus of no priming needed)
This paint is awesome you can use it for indoor or outdoor furniture and it goes on super smooth.


Tip: Make sure you use the correct brush
(ie: for oil based paint use a brush made for oil based paints)


Step 5: Brush on your first coat of paint, don't try to lay it on too thick you will have another coat for coverage.


Step 6: Let it dry (5 hours if you used latex, overnight for oil based like mine)


Step 7: Paint a second coat, This time be sure to get all sides of the dresser.


Step 8: Let it dry


Step 9: Tape off the ouside edge of each dresser (This is only if you want to paint the inside of the drawers if not you can skip ahead to Step 12) 


Remember this "Oops" paint from my night stand makeover? Well here is where the last 1/2 of the can was used.


Step 10: Paint TWO coats of a glossy finish inside your drawers letting them FULLY dry in between each coat.


This is what mine looked like....

Step 11: Take off the tape while your second coat is drying ( I have found that this will help prevent the tape from peeling off your paint).

Optional Step: Distress the wood - Go over all the edges / corners that would normally get a lot of wear.


Step 12 (optional): Use a extra smooth brush and go over the entire peice of furniture with a coat of Polyurethane. This will seal your furniture and make it stronger against nicks & stains.

Then Step back and admire your hard work!

Just for fun how about a few side by side shots?
Before

After


Before

After


What do you think of her transformation?

33 comments:

Jo April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

I love the blue drawers! Would make you smile every time you opened the drawers

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife April 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

I absolutely love it! What a creative idea to paint the inside. Great color choice!

So wonderful!

Unknown April 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

That dresser has a lovely fresh new face. Painting inside the drawers in a fun colour was a great idea that I will definitely use some time.

scargosun April 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

This could not have come at a better time. ;) I have 3 refinishing projects in front of me but this helped me answer some questions. :)

Leslie April 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Wow! Wow! Wow! How awesome! I'm totally inspired. I won't look at old furniture the same way ever again. This looks really wonderful!

By the way, you should link this project up at my current Bargain Brag Wednesday: http://www.bargainshoppingparadise.com/2010/04/bargain-brag-wednesday-414-420.html

I'm totally one of your newest followers, now. :o)

Handbags*and*Pigtails April 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

What do I think? Im THRILLED b/c we have some handed down pieces of furniture just like this dresser(that lovely old french provincial "stuff") that I want to transform but I didnt know where to begin with the veneer of it being what it is.
Thanks so much!
Sarah
HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com

Rachael West April 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Wow, I can't believe I was featured! Thank you all so much for your sweet comments. I am always posting new projects on my blog so stop by for a visit from time to time!

Now I am going to float on my cloud all day today! Thank you again!

Unknown April 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Here is a matching vanity - same old school furniture - how cool is that

http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1689709439.html

rebecca @ older and wisor April 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

I am so lazy, by the time I would've gotten the outside painted, there is no WAY I would've done the inside too. That being said - it looks FANTASTIC!! I'd keep the drawers open all the time ;)

Jennifer April 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

She did an amazing job. I love the color choice for inside the drawers. Beautiful.

Jennifer

Anne April 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

Your dresser turned out absolutely awesome!!! Plus I love the extra surprise of the turquoise drawers! How fun!

AutumnBrooke April 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

OMG! I just got this SAME dresser (in about the same condition) for $25 last weekend. A friend texted me a picture of it and said "It's solid wood!" so I told her to pick it up, only to find the top was a big old hunk of laminate. I've never painted laminate before so I was a bit discouraged. However, this has totally got me amped up to tackle it! Thanks! It looks amazing.

Autumn
TheFickleHobbyist.com

Suki Lotti April 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Stunning! At first I was thinking "black? Really?" But her oops paint just pops right out to make it so pretty.

Anonymous,  April 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

I picked up the DESK to this very piece, down to the hardware! Got it at a yard sale for $4!! My DIL wanted it painted solid white. But I do love the black and turquoise you did yours in. Sweet! Love your blog.

Jess April 15, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

I love it-I totally had this dresser and matching bed and lingerie chest growing up. They had been my mom's from when she was in high school. It makes me want to go swipe them and do this to them! It turned out awesome!

Low Tide High Style April 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

Love this! And how cool to paint the interiors of the drawers that gorgeous blue! Really beautiful!

Kat :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP