We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Thanksgiving Garland; Holiday Decor Ideas

20 November 2009

Really exciting title huh?!?

I know I thought long and hard about that one, for all of about 2 seconds.  You can thank me for inspiring you with the title later.... Anyway.


Day 2: Thanksgiving Week

I am so thankful for my home.  What a wonderful gift and blessing to have a comfortable place to safely live.  I have a roof over my head that keeps me dry.  Walls that protect me from the crazy Texas wind!  Cats that run around my feet begging to be fed (all. day. long.)  I get to hear Cock-a-doodeling randomly throughout the day from my redneck farmy backyard and see my cute little chickens run to the back door for treats.   House plants that lose leaves and petals all over but, that cheer me up with a fresh sense of spring. A huge bathtub, that is like my own private spa. A refrigerator, freezer and pantry full of food, with a variety that most kings would have been jealous of.  I have great books to read, that teach me and take me all over the world in the comfort of my p.j.'s.  My own place to create.  Tons of music to rock out to, or relax with.   A dishwasher that actually cleans dishes, and a washer and dryer that cleans my clothes, so I don't have to do it all by hand, all. day. long.  And, a bed stocked high with a million pillows and soft sheets, that every night I thank heaven for.  What richness surrounds us daily that we don't even see.  I hope toady you take a second to reflect on the wonder it is to have a home to live in. 

On to the thanksgiving inspiration

Within my home I have two banisters.  It is fun to have them decked out for the holidays.  I had all sorts of spooky stuff for Halloween and when I took it down, it felt bare.

I wanted a fall inspired garland, but couldn't afford to buy one so I started to look around. 

Here is what I found, and how I used it

2 Bleach stained towels
2 Strands of white Christmas lights
Several scraps of fabric in different fall colors (about 1/2 a yard of about 6 colors, slightly more of some)
Masking tape
Fall leaf sprays (optional)
Scissors
A bit of time (and a lot of hulu shows later)

The inspiration for this idea is a window treatment my friend Kim did in her daughter's room.  The hard part was coming up with a bendable "bar" type string.  That is where the towel came in.  I cut some old towels into 1/3's length wise.  Then sewed them end to end, (although I realize now that I could have just masking taped them together for those of you without a sewing machine.) 

Step 1. I measured the banister and cut the (now sewn/taped together) towel piece to length.

Step 2 Then I rolled it up width wise, and secured the roll with masking tape.  See picture below:


Step 3.  Wrap lights around towel roll.  Make sure the lights work!!! Then divide the roll and string in half to help you get an even distribution of lights.  Secure with masking tape when necessary.

Step 4.  If you choose to have a leaf spray at the end tape that in place at both ends of garland now.

Step 5.  Take your fabric of choice and cut them into strips.  I cut mine into strips approximately 1/2" -1" wide and 10" to 15" inches long .

Then begin tying the fabric strips randomly onto the towel roll.  Until the towel is completely covered



Hang up where ever you would like.  And plug it in.  It is so festive and fun at night!  I love it!


13 comments:

Anne November 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

When you mentioned the towels, I REALLY started to wonder what the end result would look like.

It looks great!!

Denise November 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

Cass--Your house is coming along amazingly. seriously. I don't understand how someone so young as yourself could be so ridiculously smart and creative! Okay, so I definitely got robbed in the talents category....after looking at your skills! I love what you've done with the entry way and kitchen arched walls. They beautiful and define the space nicely!

Bobbi November 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

This is so awesome, cheap and makes your house look like great!! Thanks for all the ideas, it makes me look like we have a lot of money to spend on house decor! You are pretty amazing!

Lew November 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

thank you for this idea. I love it and may try it out! I have to catch the last episodes of lost on hulu before the final season starts, so it will keep my hands busy. Love ya!

Jenny November 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

I LOVE THIS!

I've made ragamuffin garland before, but never thought about putting in lights. Great idea!

Amy November 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I should really do this...use up some of my scrap material.

Thanks for sharing.

Cindy November 22, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

You have such ngreat ideas ad tutorials. I am going to try a few :D
Happy Thanksgiving!

Sheri December 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

So many crafts, so little time!! And you don't make in any easier either with ideas like this! Now I'm thinking all sorts of colors for different holidays....

MJ @ 517 Creations September 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Love this! I just made my own - took less than an hour! I need to add some more fabric to make it "fuller", but it looks great on my mantle. :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP