We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

I'm in Chocolate Layer Heaven

28 April 2009


Sunday night I really wanted a dessert. In my personal definition of dessert, chocolate is a required word. (hence, no chocolate = no dessert)

I was thinking about a cake that my Grandma Alice used to make, and bring over on Sunday nights when I was a teenager. It is a white layer cake, with whipped cream, and raspberry jam. (Okay, I would count that as a dessert! SO good)

I wanted to put my own spin on it. I think she would be proud- she too LOVES chocolate- it runs in the family!

Here is the recipe:
Cake:
1 chocolate Devils Food cake mix
prepared as normal, although I substituted applesauce for oil
Add Spacial Dark chocolate chips, about a 1/4 or slightly less of a bag.
Pour into two round cake pans bake as directed.
Cool as long as you possibly can (I think a waited 1 hour...)
Frosting:
Mix together:
1 8 oz container cool whip ( I use fat free)
4 oz of cream cheese ( I used the 1/3 less fat)
1 cup Heavy Whipping cream
(I actually would have been okay with just the cool whip, but it totally deflated when I mixed it, then there wasn't enough to frost the cake, I happened to have some cream, so I whipped that up and added about 2 Tbls. sugar and 1 tsp vanilla)
Glaze:
Freezer strawberry jam
( I watered this down to a syrup consistency, and heated up in the microwave)

Now you can do as many layers as you want.
I cut one of the cake layers in half, and frosted three layers.
You simply frost the cake with the cream mixture and glaze with strawberry.
Then add another layer and repeat.
This cake was so delicious warm. The chocolate chips were soft and melty- oh I can taste it now. But since there is no way we would allow ourselves to finish off the cake in one day (notice, I didn't say it was impossible for us to finish it in one day). We had to refrigerate it. And the chips got all hard, but this was also quite good (not best, but not bad).

1 comments:

Sharla April 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Yummy! I love layered cakes.... thinking of the last one I ate...mmmm. I may have to try this out. I've been wanting chocolate :)! Thanks for the idea!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP