We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Alterations

20 April 2009

In the tradition of projects, these three alteration projects took up last Thursday. It was so fun to sew again. I really haven't made much of anything for so long.

I just altered three pre-made finds.

The first is a plaid summer dress from my sister. This is part of the maternity clothes collection that was passed to me! Yahoo! Only one problem, I am the tallest girl in the family, by 3 inches, to my tallest sister. Noelle who sent me this is 5'5", so I really needed an extra 5 inches of fabric, in order to move around with out exposing myself. So here is what I did:

I added some scrap fabric I had to the bottom, but then it didn't look finished, so I added a band around the upper waist. I am really excited for this now! I think it looks so summery!


Front and Back (it is so much harder than you think to take pictures of something you are wearing...)





Then for my birthday, I picked up this adorable knit dress at Walmart. I think it was only $14.00- dang good deal. And it looks so cute for maternity, but again, I like it just a little longer.
I used another scrap of I had of black knit, and jimmy-rigged a hemline that matched some of the other details. This was a little harder, because I didn't have a serger, and the other ruffles, were finished with a serger, but I think it sorta worked out. I wore it to church on Sunday!

I hope you can see the ruffling I added. It is hard to tell with the black knit, what is going on.


And I just had to add the picture of Kitty checking out the handy work! She is so cute and fluffy!



Lastly, I wanted to make some maternity pants, that didn't have a waistband that was tight- meaning no elastic at all!! I am so anti-waistbands right no I can't even tell you. I went to the local Salvation army and bought a pair of jeans (on a 50% off day- so $3.50, score!) They fit my legs and thighs, then I just sort of experimented with finishing the new knit waist band.

Next time I won't cut off the back waistband, I am not sure why I decided to do it this time, but live, do, and learn.

First, I pulled them on and pinned around the curvature of my new belly.

I cut off the top of the pants along that curve.
Here is my belly with them cut off so you can tell what I mean about cutting bellow the new curve of my belly!
I then measured the width of my belly (only on the front from side to side approx 22", and the height I'd like the band to go.
For example, from the lowest point, I wanted the band to be 7" tall, but from the side I only needed 4.5". I folded the knit fabric in half, the height I needed it to be. 7 inches. That fold will be the top of my band.
Then I laid the pants below the fabric the now measured 20" wide and 7" folded (or 14" long) and eyeballed the curve as I cut from 4.5 on the side to the center lowest point of 7 inches. Then folded that first cut half over the other un-cut half, and used it as a guide for the other side. (hope that makes some sense)

I then cut a band for the back, and sewed the sides together, and folded the bad side in and pinned them to the outside of the cut pants, like so:

When I was done sewing the pined area on, this is what I had:
And with a shirt pulled low over it, you can't even tell!

I might try this again.... later.
For now we are on to other projects!

14 comments:

A Erickson April 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Fantastic. I am so impressed with your sewing skills...I've got to admit that I don't think I would tackle the maternity pants, but you make it look so easy!

Marsha April 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Your sister may want that first dress back. It is beautiful with the addition of the dark red bands of fabric. And i love what you did with the denim. Looks so much more snug than store bought maternity. Not to mention, you are still tiny. What a cute baby bump.

PS...I am working on the blanket pattern you wanted. It was in a baby afghan book I got from Hancock. The pattern is called spider web and it is all crochet. I will just send you a copy of mine. Super simple. Like I said, lots of double crochet and some treble crochet for the web blocks.

The Wright Fam April 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

I am soo impressed!! You are amazing!! I am lucky if I can just sew in a straight line!! I love your cute little baby bump too, you look adorable!

InkMom April 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

I WANT them! The dresses, I mean. The jeans are a little too . . . personalized for me.

CourtneyB April 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Wow! I had no idea you had such amazing sewing skills! Those all look beautiful - way to go!!! (:

The Arrrrrgalls April 20, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

You, as always, are amazing with a sewing machine. You definitely did that first dress some major justice. I love the new alterations.
You'd be very proud of us at the branch, Nancy Scheewe is teaching a sewing class at the branch. Leslie made pajama bottoms for the boys, Destinee is making cute head bands, Robyn is making pajama shorts for Marissa, and I am making a purse. I think it's the hit of the class. It's turning out pretty cute, I think of you every time I look at it, because it would be something you would make. Way to go on ALL the projects you are tackling like a line backer. You have the serious pregnancy "nesting" symptoms!! Great job on the pretty jam too, I am very proud.

Sharla April 20, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

Way to go! I love the dresses - red band way too cute, and the black ruffle, so great! I must say I'm very impressed with the jeans. I think they turned out great and now they are comfy for the tummy! Awesome job!

Lew April 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

I am SO impressed!!!! Seriously, how do you do all this? You have some mad skills.
Love you!!!
PS. Love the Dixie Chicks song. You were the one to show me this song and I still listen to it. I'm so glad this can be for your baby now!!!

Cindy Killebrew April 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

I had no idea WalMart had maternity dresses. Who knew? I'm so short wouldn't have to sew in that extra ruffle. I think your ruffle makes the dress fabulous! I love the jeans. Can you make me a pair? :)

Drake, Rachel and Olivia April 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

YOU are amazing! I wish I had even an ounce of your creativity and thriftyness. The outfits look great!

Anonymous,  April 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

I saw the jeans and i guess the dress, I had no idea you did that, but I already knew you were amazing.

C. Leah April 22, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Okay, seriously you are extremely talented!
I LOVE what you did to all three of those items of clothing!! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP