We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Wingback Chair Reupholstering Tutorial

27 August 2011


Wingback Chair Reupholstering Tutorial 

 It is done! Done! Done! Done!


I mentioned earlier this week that I started the actual upholstering part of my wingback reupholstering this weekend and finished it in two days!!!!  It was on my "list of things to finish before my parents get here" so I thought once I start I have to get this done.

I started this project over 3 months ago {see first post here} and like many things in design it never turns out exactly the way you think it is going to go.  I first started out {in May}wanting to write a really detailed tutorial about how to reupholster a piece of furniture; even though at that point I had NEVER actually upholstered anything before... I thought if I can do it anyone can.  BUT I was not as detailed as I thought I was going to be at documenting my progress... and in the end {with a great chair but not a great "How To" post} that is the best advice I am going to give you.... BE DETAILED!!!

I started with this:



and in May I began tearing the chair apart.  



I intended to document all pieces of fabric and such I took off the chair, and completely label them so it was very easy to put back on.


As I began to carefully tear the fabric off of the chair {because I wanted to use them for pattern pieces} I took pictures and labeled with a sharpie...



I tried to keep all of the metal teethy parts and cardboard strips to reuse...






But as I would try to finish removing all of the fabric pieces from the chair here and there {whenever I had the chance, daytime, late at night, in the garage, etc} I became less detailed. 


And soon my chair looked like this... and then it sat for a month and a half!!!!
All this time I was trying to narrow down what fabric I wanted for the chair... it was quite a process! {see my selection process, here} I wanted something I was going to love, but fabric that I wasn't going to spend a fortune on.  I know doing the work myself was going to save a ton of $ but this was my first big project like this and I didn't want to have to buy more if I f*cked it up!!



After I read a few blogs on the how tos for reupholstering to figure out how much fabric I needed {not a whole lot of help because every chair was different!} I took a yard of fabric I had from a client project and laid out the pieces for each fabric.  I knew I wanted to have a print on the back and a solid on the front... so after some measuring I came up with 2 yards for the print and 3 yards for the solid.  Did I mention I have 2 wingback chairs, but only one fits in my current living room? SO that meant I had to double that to make sure I had enough for both.


Remember how I wanted to use the old fabric pieces for patterns and the metal teeth again... well I started to think why not use ALL of the stuff over again?  So I ripped everything apart and used the piping, the felt {that was attached to the fabric to pull it through}, the scary metal teeth, the foam, dacon wrap and even the zipper from the old chair.








I am beyond thrilled with the way the chair turned out!  I defiantly know what to do differently for the other chair... and that is the one that will probably end up being the actual chair in the living room, but for my first time... it is awesome!  I seriously smile ear to ear every time I walk up and down the stairs! 













Sorry for pic over load... but that is how happy I am with it!  It totally dawned on me the minute I was finished putting on the double welt to the legs that I should have refinished the legs of the chair.... oh well!  After talking to my Mom about when exactly she bought them we narrowed it down to about 20 years ago... so in 10 years when I am tired of the fabric and want to tackle this again I will, but the legs are fine for now! 


This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!





This was an amazing chair upholstery project! To see more chairs like it check out these links:

12 comments:

Pearl August 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

That looks great. I have an old Pottery Barn Wingback chair that is meant to be slipcovered, but can no longer get slipcovers for it. I might have to try reupholstering it. Love your fabric choices.

Jessie K August 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

I absolutely love how you went with the print on the back! It's so surprising and refreshing!

HirondelleRustique August 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM  

Wow, talk about the cutest stinkin chair I have ever seen! I lovelovelove this, great fabric choice!

v8grrl August 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

good Job...I'm working on mine too. I had started very meticulously, then the staples got the best of me...Now I'm just winging it. should be done next week if I get a few days off from work. Yours is gorgeous, mine ...will be just ok...but it will look better than it did...that is a fact

trump August 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

Good morning from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. I hope everyone is doing ok if you are in Hurricane Irene's path. Richard from Amish Stories.

Elisa August 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM  

Wow, that looks amazing! A quick and easy improvement on the legs could be to touch up the scratches and scuffs with a matching stain pen. Looks great, what a lot of work to be proud of. :)

Nom and Home August 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM  

what an adorable chair!!!! love it!! i've always wanted to reupholster old furniture, but don't think i have the patience for it! you did an amazing job! love the blue lamp too. rock on.

kristincita August 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM  

great job! I'm curious why you went "business in the front, party in the back" ?

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} August 31, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

Thanks for featuring me! I chose the party fabric for the back because I wanted to make it different. I loved that fabric but it was a little busy for the front...

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

Tiffany {Living Savvy}

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP