We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Beauty of a Basement; Renovation!

26 July 2011


Beauty of a Basement; Renovation!

There was a time in my life (like 2 years ago) when I thought that basements were dumb. What was the point? Seriously. They're dark, dank, and smelly. If you put things down there in storage, they'd either end up ruined or completely forgotten behind a stack of moldyNational Geographics. Plus there's bugs--those nasty centipede things that I abhor. I was NOT a fan of basements. I'm surprised that we actually have some pictures of the befores since I seriously hated going downstairs into our dungeon.

Warning: crappy pictures ahead (to match the surroundings).





You get the idea: nastiness. And you know it's gotta be bad when I give Mitch free reign in the decor department anywhere in our house. So when up to him, he painted the walls bright orange (once a Flyer's fan, always a Flyer's fan) and I never stepped foot down there again. That is until we decided to finish it.


There were several "rooms" down there. Mitch removed one wall to open it up.


 Smashing the wall. I did partake in this event. It was fun, but dang, was that sledge hammer heavy!



And it went from looking like that, to this.






The room is divided up into two zones. One half is the lounging/tv zone and the other half is the work zone. This is Mitch's side of our work zone. Notice the tasteful sports theme. Out with the orange walls, yet the Flyers are still represented. And that's a picture of Jackie Robinson sliding into home and the Babe hitting a homer. Classics. And I'm cool with that.


Mitch made this little shelf. It's the perfect spot for his collection of Philly sports team glasses.


And this is my side.
Mitch bought the 50s dining table for me for Christmas one year when we were dating. I spotted it when we were out at an antique store, fell in love, then he went back and bought it for me. It makes the perfect desk. I made the inspiration board. The lamp we got at Target years ago. And that cute owl I picked up at a thrift store.



We're really happy with how it all turned out. It gives us another room to retreat to--which in a small two bedroom rancher is much needed. We did the demo part ourselves but hired out the construction aspect. Now I can't imagine our house without our finished basement. If you haven't seen it already, here's a little clip of our basement taken by our friend Keith.



9 comments:

Unknown July 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM  

We don't have basements in San Diego. I wish we did, I would want mine to look just like this one. I love the his and her zones. Great job you two!

InteriorGroupie July 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM  

Wow. this totally makes me want to finish my basement. What a great space!

banclothing July 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

This is amazing because often if basements have small windows they are dark and uninviting. This is phenomenal, usable, and gorgeous. I really feel inspired.

Kathleen W. July 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

Oh wow!! Gorgeous! I wish we could do this to ours one day.

PS. We're Phillies fans too; we live in PA.

Anonymous,  July 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

This is beautiful!

You can create awesome areas in basements. I learned the hard way, however, that anything below ground level (up north anyway) will have excess moisture in the air. Aside from the heating months, we always have dehumidifiers going in each section of the basement that fill up daily.

Mikey Fuller July 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM  

I love your remodel! Everything looks so fresh and fab. I used to have a little marble table like yours! I removed the long section of the threaded base, painted it white, and attached the flaired bottom directly to the top to create a nifty marble CAKESTAND! Yippee!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP