We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Updated Bench (Stylish Spot for the Dogs!!)

20 June 2011

Best Seat in the House: Bench Remodel


Our dogs LOVE to look out the window. I’m assuming this is a normal dog behavior, but I swear that Ranger and Cullen take it to abnormal levels.
They did it in our old apartment…
Note: this photo was taken before we lived together, which would be why it’s so messy in that house.
And when we moved to our duplex, they continued to do it, only it was even worse because our duplex faces a street, and the apartment didn’t.
It’s annoying, to say the least, but there’s not much we can do about it.
On a seemingly unrelated note (I promise I’ll link it all back together), Cullen has suddenly decided that for some unknown reason he can’t jump up on our bed. Never mind the fact that he had zero problem with it for the first 6 months we lived here, and when we’re giving Ranger lots of love on the bed he doesn’t seem to struggle too much to get up there and get some love for himself.
But when it’s time for bed? He’ll spend hours (seriously, HOURS) jumping up and down next to the side of the bed, barking at us to help him up. I work with kids with behavior issues for a living, so it’s putting it mildly to say that I get a bit stubborn when it comes to these things. I absolutely refuse to let him learn that if he barks at us, we’ll let him up, so if we don’t catch him and toss him up on the bed before the barking starts, it’s unlikely we’ll get any sleep that night.
So, the other day when I was browsing Craigslist and I saw something that could be a solution to our problem, I knew I absolutely had to have it.
I’d been tossing around the idea to get a bench for the end of our bed in the new house (since our master bedroom is SO BIG), and this one fit what I wanted exactly.
And of course, in the meantime, it totally doesn’t hurt that we can put it next to our front window (since it doesn’t fit into our current tiny bedroom) and the dogs can hang out on it to look outside. See? I told you it would all make sense in a minute.
As soon as I got the bench back home, I had a vision in mind of exactly what I wanted for it. Glossy white paint and a modern, yellow fabric. I’m a big fan of mixing unexpected patterns and colors with more traditional pieces, and I was super excited to see how this one turned out.
I got it all painted within a few days of getting it, but then we had to wait for the fabric to arrive. So, for several days we had this sitting in our living room:

Lovely, right?
Well, the fabric finally came in a couple of days ago and I got the bench reupholstered and ready for our new master bedroom!
I tried to take photos of the finished product right after I was done, but there was a minor problem.
For the first few days, I literally could not get the dogs off of the bench long enough to take photos of it. They are in LOVE. One of them is almost constantly on it, and Cullen is very happy that he no longer has to stand on his hind legs to look out of the window.
Once the bench had been around for a few days, I finally caught a few minutes where neither of the dogs was one it (probably because they were outside or something) so I managed to snap a few photos of the bench by itself.


I’m absolutely in love with it, and I can’t wait to see how it looks in our room at the new house. And I can’t wait to know what it’s like to have a dog that can get up on the bed by himself again.
Oh, and don’t worry – the windows in the new house go almost down to the floor, so hopefully the dogs won’t be too upset when there isn’t a bench by the front window anymore.
Have you ever bought or modified anything in your house to make life easier for your dogs? Or am I the only crazy/pathetic one that does crap like this?


15 comments:

Tina@WhatWeKeep June 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

Love this post! Yes, I am as pathetic as you. I have made custom "apartments" for my two, beds, monogrammed items, etc. I want to make custom stairs for my little short legged Sophie who does the jump/bark/whine, too. Magoo (my hubby) has vetoed that idea. ; )
Love the fabric!
~Tina

Maggie Massey June 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM  

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the more modern chevrons against the ball & claw feet...so unexpected & perfect!

Quilty Conscience June 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

I absolutely love this bench! I would do 'most anything to have one like it! I have two footstools (hassocks?) just for the doxsies. One for easy access to the bed and one for easy access to the loveseat. Speaking of behavioral training...the dogs are allowed to sleep with us but...if they get up in the middle of the night they are put in the kennel. Still in our room. For a while there I was giving them a treat at the same time I put them in the kennel. How long do you think it took before we had dogs jumping off the bed every night, going into the kennel and expecting a treat? Bad Mom! Toni

Ms. Bake-it June 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

Oh heaven's no, you are certainly not alone! I am always customizing certain things in my house and yard for my pets. The remodeling of my master bedroom includes making a second bed for one of my dogs. You did a great job on the bench!

~ Tracy

Katie @ Wildwood Creek June 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

The bench is so beautiful! Your story about the dogs is too funny. I just posted a story about our new tv cabinet for our flat screen tv. Our cat kept jumping on top of the tv, which were were afraid he would scratch or tip over. Therefore, we had to build a shelf for above the tv. And I thought I was the only one that had to decorate around her pets!

Unknown June 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

OMW I love it! Many ppl have this thing where they would hate to paint a nice piece like that, but it gives it a fresh, personal and modern twist to a classic piece!
Ppl need to get out of their comfort zones, and get over their painting wood phobia, and embrace the possibilities!

Janet June 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

I love this! Do you mind sharing your fabric source? The chevron pattern is the perfect size an shade of yellow for my breakfast nook!

Gracefully Vintage June 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM  

Just Beautiful- Love it, the white is so crisp-and yellow so frenchy.. Amazng.. Thanks for sharing..
Karryann

Moddy Bee June 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

ohh i like this!! im intersted to see how clean it stays with your dogs! ;)my kids would have their way with it! you have inspired me!
www.moddybee.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  June 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM  

The bench is so beautiful!! I love everything that you did!! What am awesome, stylish, elegant way for dogs to lounge! Mine would for sure be jealous!

Living Lakeside June 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

What a beautiful makeover! Those are some lucky puppies and if that is not the most perfect doggie bench ever I don't know what is! Love the feet!

K:)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP