We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Getting More Curb Appeal

15 June 2011

It is summer right?  Now is the time to get outside!!  Work on your tan (or do like me and wear SPF 75 with a hat!) and fix up the outside of your home.  But sometimes it can be a little overwhelming, most of us don't know where to start.  So, I thought I would try to give you some ideas.


1. Clean Up!
First and foremost clean up the trash!
  •  Rake up the beds- old leaves 
  • Take bulk trash to the dump!  (or donate items that you no longer need that are in good shape!!) 
  • Throw away broken items (lights, pots, art)
  • WEED!  Get those darn buggers outta your life.
 I am pretty sure that not many of us would willingly look at this house below (unless you are a diamond in the rough sorta person!)  And it may have a LONG way to go before it would be considered, but simply picking up the trash would have made a huge difference (by the way this was a real estate listing!!!).


2. Add mulch to your beds.  
This makes a WORLD of difference!  If you've had mulch in the past but it is looking sorta patchy and worn, it really cleans up the beds, and makes them look fresh.

Also, do your edging!  Clean up the edge of any beds with a shovel, or edger and trim out the line.  This is a free way to make your beds look new and cared for! Consider adding an invisible edging that sticks into the ground.  If you are thinking of resale value I would avoid decorative edgings, since peoples tastes differ.

By the way the mulch will help your plants retain water and may help with weeds!  
So mulch = a greener thumb???  Possibly!



3. Plant some flowers!
To add color AND fragrance!  A beautiful potted flower arrangement by the front and back door is a great guest greeter (say that 5 times fast) for your home.  If you don't know what flowers to buy, ask for help at your local nursery.  And when in doubt, stick with a monochromatic blossom theme.  It will make your beds and pots look clean and the flowers will always work together.


4. Paint your front door and mail box.
This is what my Asheville house door looked like and I think the pictures speak louder than words
(I forgot to take a before of the front door, but the side door was exactly the same besides the doggie door)


This was a $3 dollar makeover, and about 20 minutes... just paint it!
(we obviously hadn't added our mulch yet... although we did, soon after that!)

5. Add some cool house numbers
They don't have to be expensive (as proven below!),but house numbers can really add to the style of your home.


Need some other ideas?
Are you on Pinterest?  Check out my Pinterest account for more great ideas. 
 I even have a board for home exteriors if you just want to see some pretty inspiration there!!
If you need some Realtor leads please check out the link.





15 comments:

Unknown June 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM  

I actually can see that house as a diamond in the rough. With a nice spanish shade on the stucco, new landscaping including bougainvillia in front of each arch and training up the wall and over. Ahh..... I can taste the margaritas being served off a wine barrel base table out front under a beautiful large shade tree with a rope swing handing from a branch.....

lisaroy June 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

great tips! it really doesn't take much to make huge improvements, other than some physical work. And a lick of paint does wonders - loving the orange door :)

Anonymous,  June 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

Great thoughts! I worked outside for over 8 hours today and feel good about how much I got done. (We just moved in and have a really overgown yard!) I remembered a hat, but forgot the sunscreen. ;-)

Tanya Ott June 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

Thanks for the kick in the pants! We've got an semi-finished raised garden to finish, a deck to power wash & stain, a front door to paint (it's been primed white for months now -- MONTHS!), and several flower beds to tidy and mulch.

So many to-do's... so little time!

Unknown June 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

I love that first photo! I need to check a few things off that list. New house numbers for sure and I may change my paint color.. we'll see! I totally agree about mulch.. it makes a huge impact!

Unknown June 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

I love that first photo! I need to check a few things off that list. New house numbers for sure and I may change my paint color.. we'll see! I totally agree about mulch.. it makes a huge impact!

Ches June 15, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

Great tips, I want to paint my front door, but cant decide on a color. Our house is white with black shutters, so I was thinking of a red or maybe yellow door.

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns June 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM  

Im a door person and am totally digging all of these.... but my fav is the first one, the orange one. WOW

Katie June 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

It IS amazing how little things, like fresh mulch, can make a huge impact. And I just love the house numbers made of nails!

Tanya Anurag June 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM  

I like the House Number idea where nails are used!! Gosshhhh... people have great ideas :)

Michelle June 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

I've been working on this for the past week. I repainted my furniture, bought new cushions, repainted my hose holder, my mailbox and made a sign for above my door. Oh...and repainted my table top sculpture to match. It's been fun. I think I'll do my door next!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP