We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Beautifying a Ceiling Fan with a Shade Tutorial

16 June 2011

Hi everyone! I'm so glad that Cassity has asked me to come on over and wreck up her blog.. Err, I mean have a grand ol time with you! :) If you're not familiar with me my name is Rachelle 
and I'm the writer over at Fingerprints on the Fridge. 
Photobucket

I tend to blog about decor, and my silly little girls. It's a fun time, feel free to stop by and say hello! 


 Today however, I'm going to show you the quickest, easiest way to switch up a ceiling fan and take it from blah, to ahh! Ready? Let's go.


So we had a very u-g-l-y fan in the playroom. White, one light, very standard and blah.


Something just like this.



I wanted something with a little more pizazz and searched lots of tutorials online but they ALL needed a fan with two lights so you could screw a rod/finale into the fan to attach your shade too.  Young house love did it a few times. Did you hop over and see what I mean? Yeah, mine couldn't uh..do that. So I used my thinker.. and thunk some more.

And. BAM.

This is what you'll need.
-Some wire, try to go on the thin side so it's super bendable and easy to work with while you're a hundred feet up in the air 2 feet off the ground on a chair.
-Scissors
-A pretty lamp shade, I purchased mine from Target and I love the pretty burlap looking texture.


You're going to take your wire, and start on one arm of the shade, wrap it all the way around and move to the next one. Make sure you leave lots of room in between the arms so that there's "haning" room. 

The longer you leave in between determines how low your shade will hang. But, don't worry if you want to shorten it, it can be done. That's why we worked with thinner wire.




Then made sure it was all semi-even and bent the wire a bit so that it would hang on the screws that used to hold in the ugly white spaceship looking globe. That's the best part of the wire, it's bendable so it's totally workable and if it looks crooked, scoot it over a bit, bend some more and you'll get it right. Trust me.








See how freakin' easy that was? I KNOW. Imagine all the awesome shades you can put up now! Awesome. It's not super pretty from below, but no one will be looking right up at it, since the kiddy table is below. If you're worried about it from below you could also add some fabric to the bottom of the shade with some hot glue and it would be fantastic. It was exactly what the playroom needed.




Thanks again so much for Cassity for having me. Hope you enjoyed!
Please visit Fingerprints on the Fridge

Wanna get some more lighting inspiration?  Check out these posts:
DIY Wine Glass ChandelierRecycling Glass Insulators Into Pendant LightDIY Dish Lamp Tutorial
How to Build a Tripod LampThe Moooi Random Pendant Knock Off, and Turning a Glass Vase Into a Lamp Tutorial


5 comments:

The enchanted home June 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM  

You are just too creative for your own good! Love the idea..fabulous!! Always something great to see coming here....
Stop by, last day to enter drawing for the gorgeous Kilim bench!

'LUSH' June 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

What a fantastic idea, and simple too! Love it and am definitely going to use it!

❦Bayside Gal❦ June 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

Wow! That is so great! I have wanted to put a fan in our dining nook. The area is small and this will help air flow as well as keeping the fixture looking like a hanging lamp. I think my hubby might approve of this one! I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP