We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

The Difference Some Color Makes: (and a New Front Door)

24 June 2011

The Difference Some Color Makes: (and a New Front Door)

I thought this submission was timely considering the post I wrote about curb appeal just a few days ago! 



Saturday morning, I woke up and decided to paint the front door.  I kinda envisioned getting it painted that day, but deciding on a color took an entire day.  I have been pinning yellow doors like crazy lately because I think they look so cheerful, but once I got the swatches up, I just wasn't feeling it.  And then I told Chris, "I know that I want green."  The top one on the right is called Lemongrass by Behr and I thought it looked great with the gray brick, but I started worrying that it would be lost with all of our green shrubs.  So, I declared once more that I definitely wanted a red door.  Specifically the red right underLemongrass, Bijou Red.  Red is classic.  Red definitely doesn't blend in, and if you didn't know it--I am a total sucker for red.


Earlier this week, you learned that we bought a new door and Monday night I got to work.  I thought I would be done by the time the Bachelorette was over--wrong. 


After two coats, it looked like this, and I settled in for the long haul.  The long haul being 11 coats of high gloss paint in Bijou Red.  And although I got frustrated and shed a few tears along the way, I honestly couldn't be happier with the results.  Let's check out some befores and afters:


 What a difference, right?  Gah!  We love it.  And an added bonus that we didn't even think about was the extra light we gained indoors:

So my advice to anyone with a white/boring/dull front door--why not paint it?  If you are going to use high gloss paint, leave 90 minutes in between coats at least.  If you are itching for a red front door (how could you not?) plan on lots of coats--but also count on a big pay off. 

Speaking of pay, this whole project definitely cost more than we anticipated because we bought a new front door, but here's the rundown just in case you are planning on tackling your own door soon:

Front door: $197
1 quart of high gloss exterior Behr paint in Bijou Red: $12
4 new house numbers: $5.99 each
(these first three items I had a 10% off coupon for--score!)
New doormat: $6.97

Grand total: $200.47 (plus tax)

...and worth every penny in my opinion.  What do YOU think? 



Check out these posts for more exterior update ideas:






19 comments:

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife June 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM  

Love red doors! I think it makes house look welcoming and cheerful. I always paint my front door red-except for the current house that's maroon brick.

Jil Casey June 24, 2011 at 6:45 PM  

Wow, nice door - great job! I need to paint mine, but you're right, it's so hard to decide on a color.

Liz June 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM  

I love that you have your house numbers on a piece of art inside. Great idea. And - in my opinion - the lemongrass should not be ruled out in the future. I thought it would have really accented the shrubs. But what do I know? I'm fixing to paint my door stone gray. I am boring. :)

Lisa Davis June 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

Love the red door! I have been planning on painting my door red for a long time now, just haven't gotten around to it yet! Need to get on that! :) Looks great!

Marie June 25, 2011 at 4:23 AM  

Lovely! It does make a difference and I imagine, if I was passing by the street, I would really take a second look at that red door. It made the previous white one look boring. Great job! :-)

The enchanted home June 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM  

LOVE your red door!!!! It looks beautiful and gives the house such amazing curb appeal....love the picture of all the many colors on it.something I would do. Enjoy it because it looks fabulous!!

foreverdecorating June 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

Your door looks so fabulous. The reason it took you so many coats, is because red pigment is harder to get a solid color look. You can remedy this by using a red tinted primer first. Then a lot less coats of the red would have been needed.

Anonymous,  June 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

I, too, am a big fan of red doors. Yours looks great! We've got orange brick around the front door of our present house. I'm still searching for a red that will pull it all together.

Michele June 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

I absolutely love your new front door and color! You picked the door I want and red is my favorite so a perfect combo. PS - Ashley, the current Bachelorette, is my daughters' first cousin ;-) (personally, I can't watch those shows, they drive me crazy haha). Btw, I should tell you that with Pinterest, I've noticed I love basically everything you pin and I've been visiting your blog more often and it's quickly becoming one of my top favorites. Keep up the wonderful inspiration :)

Julia Marcum June 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM  

Wow! Thanks everyone! We are enjoying it, and sometimes I even find myself making extra trips to the trash can or the mailbox just so I can look at it some more. So glad you have all been so inspired and enjoy reading. Love. Love. Love.

Julia@Chris loves Julia

Breanna Veth June 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM  

there is a HUGE difference. I love it!!! Totally adds more personality to your home.

Ami Allison June 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM  

YAY!!!! No one else said this! "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR" No really shut it! This is fantastic! It makes your home look so bright and amazing! I love it! Great job! :)

Tanya Anurag June 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

Wooowww... good to see what a little touch of red can do to the exteriors!

Brian + Cheryl B. June 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

Just an opinion, but i would suggest putting your house number on the door itself, center them directly under the window. It will make finding your house easier for everybody - especially delivery people.

Julia Marcum June 26, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

Brain + Cheryl B.

We considered that for a long time. When it came down to it, we liked the clean red door already adorned with windows and decided numbers to fill the void to the left of the door would work better. The good news is we also have our house numbers painted on the curb in front of our home with reflective paint--so the delivery people definitely know where we're at--I wouldn't risk not getting my pizza. :)

-Jules

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating June 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM  

Definitely worth the money, and the painting time. The new door has a cottage look, which adds more character to the exterior, as does the red color. What a pop!

Robyn June 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

This is a great red for your house. I've always thought that red is a hard color to find the perfect shade. You did it! This totally gives me inspiration to paint my front door. The only problem is I have brown and sand colored brick. Not fun finding a good color for the door.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP